Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

U-Connect Alternative

Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-Connect Alternative

Hey Guys and Gals

I just wanted to let you know about a possible alternative to U-Connect. Here in Ontario they have passed a law (it just isn't in effect yet) to ban cell phones and other gadgets while driving. I already have the U-Connect and iPod adapter in my Jeep so I am happy, but my girlfriend doesn't have a Jeep and we were looking at alternatives.

We found the Motorola MotrRokr T505, it supports BlueTooth hands free calling and A2DP stereo BlueTooth music. She has a iPhone 3G running 3.0 software and this system allows her to make and receive calls and also stream music wirelessly while her phone is still in her purse. The T505 has a built-in FM modulator that can be turned on or off by a switch on the unit. If it is off, calls go through the small speaker in the T505, if FM mode is active music and calls go through the radio in the vehicle. When FM mode is switched on the unit will scan for a clear channel and announce it twice on the built in speaker.

I tested it in my Jeep and had the music cut out a few times, but I suspect that is because my phone was paired to both my U-Connect and the T505. She hasn't complained about any music dropping out in her vehicle. Also the T505 simply clips to the visor so it could be easily be moved between vehicles.

Cheers
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parrot.com also makes some really nice OEM compatible kits
http://www.parrot.com/usa/

I was considering this as an alternative to the uConnect Bluetooth kit back when the iPhone was having issues.

Last edited by Robar; 07-31-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS

Quick Reply: U-Connect Alternative