Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Uconnect and Ipod cable

Old 03-17-2008, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rico, I didn't realize you'd already had your dealer do the Starscan for the Uconnect.

So, your hands free calling is working, just not your iPod?

If that's the case, then it's your radio. I had the same problem. Once the swap was made to a radio that is the newer version, you won't need to reflash the starscan, it will be plug and play.

I lucked out and found one on ebay that was local and was willing to buy it in cash and swap mine, but the guy was really nice and just let me trade them straight up.

Hopefully since your Jeep should still be under warranty you can get a new radio swapped in. And here I thought I had a difficult time getting mine going. I feel for you man.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:24 PM
JK Newbie

OK, just got home and found my cable that UPS delivered. I plugged it in and I too have the check mark on the screen and the ipod is charging but as stated by the OP, I guess I have an older radio that does not support the ipod cable. I know my uconnet is working because I use the hands free with my phone. But before the trip to work in the morning, I was wondering if I can plug in the ipod integration cable for charging and then the plug to go into the AUX on the radio to make it work? ARGH!! I wish I would have known my radio was an older one, I could have saved the $30 bucks on the cable. Oh well, I will keep you posted to see if it works with both cables plugged in.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Well, the suspense was killing me so I went outside with the dogs and tried it out. Won't work. I left it plugged in when I installed the cable. When I opened up the jeep, the light on the ipod was on and it was not charging. It still had the check mark and "ok to disconnect" on the screen. Oh well, I guess I will just charge my ipod when I am listening to XM and then disconnect it and use the auxillary cable when I listen tothe ipod.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by stfuz
OK, just got home and found my cable that UPS delivered. I plugged it in and I too have the check mark on the screen and the ipod is charging but as stated by the OP, I guess I have an older radio that does not support the ipod cable. I.....
stfuz:

which iPod cable did you order (ie, the 8 digit part number) and which radio do you have? Do you have the MyGig with nav?

Have you updated your software version on the MyGig? I did that before I installed the iPod cable, so I am not sure if its an issue with older software or not.

We'll see if we can figure out what happened...
Old 04-02-2009, 08:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Just as a point of clarification, the only MYGIGs that will support IPOD control are unit's starting with part number 50647....? Is that correct? And they must be RERs (with Nav)?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

2008-2009 iPod Interface 82211263AB Cable

I know that my uConnect is working because I am using it with my phone. I have an REQ 6 disc factory radio. My Jeep is a 2007 JK. I can't believe that the uConnect module will work but the Ipod cable will not work with it because it is an "older" radio unit?? I am wondering if, instead of plugging the Ipod into the uConnect module, if I plug it right into the back of the radio? Has anyone tried this? Could that be the problem. Maybe that is what I will do this weekend. Thanks for all your help and if anyone has tried this I would greatly appreciate it because the only part I dread is taking the console apart. How do I find out my radio model number. Can someone pass on the info on the models that the Ipod cable works on?

Fuz
Old 04-02-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Ok is the difference in the cable that I bought for $34.00 and the one listed here for $130.00 the FM Modulator?? What is the J-1850??

http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/...tegory_Code=7W

Thanks
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I know that my uConnect is working because I am using it with my phone. I have an REQ 6 disc factory radio. My Jeep is a 2007 JK. I can't believe that the uConnect module will work but the Ipod cable will not work with it because it is an "older" radio unit?? I am wondering if, instead of plugging the Ipod into the uConnect module, if I plug it right into the back of the radio? Has anyone tried this? Could that be the problem. Maybe that is what I will do this weekend. Thanks for all your help and if anyone has tried this I would greatly appreciate it because the only part I dread is taking the console apart. How do I find out my radio model number. Can someone pass on the info on the models that the Ipod cable works on?

Fuz
You have the right cable. There was an issue with some 07 radios where the AUX for the rear wasn't active, or turned on. I know dsy and a couple others here experienced this on their 07s and ended up swapping to a newer 08+ radio and everything worked fine with the iPod after that.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Fuz
Well then where would you be plugging the Uconnect module?

Unfortunately, you've got a 2007 and some of the early 07s came with radios that would not support the iPod cable, only the Uconnect module. The good thing is that you should be able to pick up a newer one on ebay or here on the forum for dirt cheap. Since you've already had your JK starscanned for the Uconnect module all you will have to do is swap out the radio and you will be all set and your iPod control should function. Assuming you didn't happen to get a bad cable, but I doubt that's the problem.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dryrock
The Ipod will not work until after the Uconnect is enabled at the dealership. It will charge, but won't play.

I just installed the Uconnect & Ipod a week ago in mine. Had the same thing. Charging without playing prior to the dealer visit.

There is an issue with early radios not working with the Ipod cable, but you wouldn't know that until the Uconnect module is working.
I used my IPOD for 3 weeks before I got the Uconnect scanned...it worked just fine.

Quick Reply: Uconnect and Ipod cable