Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Uconnect w/ iPhone

Old 07-27-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uconnect w/ iPhone

Just had a few questions about the uConnect module with iPod cable:

1: It wont charge the iPhone, correct?

2: Does the module black out the ipod function? Or can you control the music from the iphone as well? (Some aftermarket ipod adaptors/speakers will only let you control the music through itself, and will lock out the ipod controls.)

3: Is the response instant? If I press SKIP on the radio, will the song instantly skip, or is there a lag? (Some modules take a few seconds to register and move upon the action desired)

4: Are the issues with the phone syncing to the blue tooth fixed yet? I have software 3.0, and I heard the 2.x software versions were not compatible with Uconnect.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Just had a few questions about the uConnect module with iPod cable:

1: It wont charge the iPhone, correct?

2: Does the module black out the ipod function? Or can you control the music from the iphone as well? (Some aftermarket ipod adaptors/speakers will only let you control the music through itself, and will lock out the ipod controls.)

3: Is the response instant? If I press SKIP on the radio, will the song instantly skip, or is there a lag? (Some modules take a few seconds to register and move upon the action desired)

4: Are the issues with the phone syncing to the blue tooth fixed yet? I have software 3.0, and I heard the 2.x software versions were not compatible with Uconnect.
These answers are based on my 6-Disc REQ Radio with U-Connect module, this is NOT a MyGiG system

1. It will charge the original iPhone, but not the iPhone 3G (I also suspect it won't charge the iPhone 3GS). This is because Apple has removed the Firewire charging circuitry and gone with a USB only charging system. I installed a "CableJive: Charge Converter for iPhone and iPod" into my system and this allows my iPhone 3G to charge.

2. From memory, all functions continue to work, except the music/iPod controls, which must go through the head unit. If you aren't actively using the radio to listen to the iPod this may be different.

3. I've never been bothered by any lag, so I can't comment on if it is a couple of seconds or if it is instant.

4. I think it was 2.2 or maybe 2.1 that I haven't had any bluetooth problems with connecting. 3.0 works fine for what I need it for.

I get a message on my iPhone when I plug it in, something about a non-approved accessory and it asks if I want to switch to Airplane mode, select NO otherwise you won't be getting any calls.

Cheers
Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Octo
These answers are based on my 6-Disc REQ Radio with U-Connect module, this is NOT a MyGiG system

1. It will charge the original iPhone, but not the iPhone 3G (I also suspect it won't charge the iPhone 3GS). This is because Apple has removed the Firewire charging circuitry and gone with a USB only charging system. I installed a "CableJive: Charge Converter for iPhone and iPod" into my system and this allows my iPhone 3G to charge.

2. From memory, all functions continue to work, except the music/iPod controls, which must go through the head unit. If you aren't actively using the radio to listen to the iPod this may be different.

3. I've never been bothered by any lag, so I can't comment on if it is a couple of seconds or if it is instant.

4. I think it was 2.2 or maybe 2.1 that I haven't had any bluetooth problems with connecting. 3.0 works fine for what I need it for.

I get a message on my iPhone when I plug it in, something about a non-approved accessory and it asks if I want to switch to Airplane mode, select NO otherwise you won't be getting any calls.

Cheers
x2 on all he said.....get the cablejive......it works great...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:11 AM
JK Junkie

x3 on the above. but I bought an adapter from scoche.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by racer83l
x3 on the above. but I bought an adapter from scoche.
I bought the scoche also, it's need both for the uconnect in my Jeep and my alpine head unit in my truck.. works flawlessly!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:56 AM
JK Junkie

Just to clarify; you can't go into the iPhone itself and select an artist while it is hooked up via Uconnect?

Also, I have the base model stereo. Will the iPod module show artist information, or song information on the radio display?

Can the rest of you confirm that you don't experience any lag time between pressing skip on the radio, and the iPhone responding?

How do you access th iPod function on the radio?

My iPod charger setup ( griffin itrip) emits lots of interference while playing and charging. Any issues with the iPhone and uconnect?

Finally, would you reccomkend this over a regular AUX input adaptor and a bluetooth headset?
Old 07-27-2009, 12:17 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Just to clarify; you can't go into the iPhone itself and select an artist while it is hooked up via Uconnect?can't answer as I have never tried...

Also, I have the base model stereo. Will the iPod module show artist information, or song information on the radio display?I have the single disc also, yes it gives song, album, artist, playlist, time etc....

Can the rest of you confirm that you don't experience any lag time between pressing skip on the radio, and the iPhone responding?the only lag time is at start up....about 3 seconds, then it is instantanious...

How do you access th iPod function on the radio?push Aux button and ipod comes on, numbered buttons control playlist, album, artist, genre etc...forward/back button do just that....tune knob scrolls through songs, artist, playlists, genres....uconnect buttons control calls and dialing

My iPod charger setup ( griffin itrip) emits lots of interference while playing and charging. Any issues with the iPhone and uconnect?no problems with mine...

Finally, would you reccomkend this over a regular AUX input adaptor and a bluetooth headset?I would because it is as easy to operate as the ipod itself, is in the glovebox and out of sight, keeps the darn thing charged...it is flawless IMO
Go for it you won't regret it...
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Just to let you guys know, there is a new cable available that will charge the 3G/3GS. The part number is 82212000, Runs about the same as the old cable ($35ish)
Old 07-27-2009, 03:54 PM
JK Junkie

Well, here's the other issue: The dealership wants 90 Bucks to run the star-scan with it. seems a bit high to me...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:16 PM
JK Junkie

EDIT: Never mind... Apparently you need a 2008 radio or higher to get the iPod cable.

Quick Reply: Uconnect w/ iPhone