Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading base system with Alpine CDE-124SXM and KTP-445

Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading base system with Alpine CDE-124SXM and KTP-445

it was good to get back into a stereo install. havent done one in a long time.

The first 3 pics show the Alpine mini-amp. About the size of a "brick" on a big Asus laptop. This is an inline amp, which requires no power connection at all. You just put it into your oem adapter and then to the Alpine deck. Simple as that. It is a 45Wrms x 4 amp, which is a nice improvement over the decks 18Wrms x4. This amp design is similar to the Alpine PDX amp design.

This is the XM/SIRIUS module which was included in the deck box, all as one package. It just plugs into the back of your deck, then you run your antenna.

The next 3 pictures showing the wiring preparation and routing:

The common spot for the SIRIUS antenna, on the top of the sound bar, hidden under the padding. Fiberglass does not block signal.

The next 3 pics show the deck installed. This deck has XM/SIRIUS, Pandora, USB, AUX, CD, AM/FM.

The last pic is the amps jumper i forgot to check into. So I broke the tie wraps and did some testing. The LO setting is a lot better. The HIGH setting has more distortion and stress. (Much like a RCA vs hi level inputs theory)

Thoughts.. it all went well mostly. Only thing I don't love about the METRA install kit is how deep the deck sits into the hole. Also, those 2 visible slot holes above the deck. Those are for an ISO mount solution which I didn't use. Suppose I can't really see them unless I really try.

Last edited by plac; 03-28-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Great post! How did you manage to upload so many pictures?? I did a writeup on the rigid dually backup lite and I could only post two pictures

Matthew
Old 03-28-2012, 04:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
Great post! How did you manage to upload so many pictures?? I did a writeup on the rigid dually backup lite and I could only post two pictures

Matthew
dunno.. it said a limit of 10-12 a post.. i use my own image hosting, not here.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Junkie

the install looks great!

how does the pandora work?

i have a similar alpine deck that i keep hesitating to put in my JK because i like the free satellite radio and the steering wheel controls...

did the harness allow you to keep the steering wheel controls?

matthew
Old 03-28-2012, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Matthewd5
the install looks great!

how does the pandora work?

i have a similar alpine deck that i keep hesitating to put in my JK because i like the free satellite radio and the steering wheel controls...

did the harness allow you to keep the steering wheel controls?

matthew
the pandora is just a interface, you use the iphone thru the USB port. but it has a pandora app on the alpine so you can "thumbs up" and stuff.

i seriously doubt my steering wheel controls work. doesnt matter on my base Jeep anyway, i only have the volume and tune up/down on the back of my wheel.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

after all that work.. i kinda came full circle.

the mini-amp is staying out. it just adds mess and complication for very little gain.

i tried some Alpine SPS600 coax in the sound bar today. Didn't like it. Took them out and went back to the stockers. The sound bar isnt meant to have any tweet or highs..

Realized this new deck with good clean source signal makes these 6 speakers sound pretty good. I didn't want a killer system, i just wanted to improve it a bit.

Also.. I switched to the ISO style mount on my Metra dash kit. It fit WAY better, and isnt way deep in the hole any more.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plac
The sound bar isnt meant to have any tweet or highs..
What?!

Quick Reply: Upgrading base system with Alpine CDE-124SXM and KTP-445