Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading RES to REQ

Old 07-08-2008, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading RES to REQ

Hello all, has anyone replaced the standard single disc headunit (RES) to the 6 disk (REQ)? Is it just plug and play or does the dealer have to do anything? I have an 08 Sahara so it has the Sirius and Infinity sub. Thanks in advance and sorry if this question has been answered before....searched but did not find it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm interested in this answer as well. Do you have to reset your Sirius account or anything like that?
Old 07-08-2008, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

should be plug and play. Sirius account? The sirius account stays with the unit. So you probably need to transfer, which they probably wont do if you have a free trial account.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well is the Sirius unit contained within the radio or is it somewhere else in the vehicle? Changing the subscription is easy to do with the ID number but I am assuming that if the sirius module is located somewhere separate from the headunit then it should all work when plugged in.....
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

The Sirius receiver is built into the head unit. It is not separate.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

i purchased a REQ from an 07 on ebay and replaced my RES in my 08 X... it is plug and play. It had about 2 months of free sirius remaining from the prior owner and i could not put it in my name until that free time expired. after expiration, it was no problem.

if you buy the REQ mail order, be sure and contact the seller concerning shipping. the 6 disk changer will get 'knocked' out of position in shipping, if it is not packed securely. i had to open my unit and realign the changer. but it is all good now.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I did the switch as well. Just purchase a Sirius ant and its a plug and play switch!

Quick Reply: Upgrading RES to REQ