Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Upgrading stock radio?

Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eandras
The op has the low speed can-bus. The 2015 is a high speed can-bus
This is false info and I see it spread here frequently. ALL JKs are high speed. There has never been a low speed canbus JK.

For the OP, you have a high speed bus radio. If you want a factory Sirrius/nav radio, you need a high speed bus radio. Preferably from a JK. Do not buy one from a WK2 Grand Cherokee. The mounts are different on it and it won't fit the JK. On the 2010 the sat radio antenna on top of the sound bar also doubles as a gps antenna. It is an integrated dual purpose antenna. You could find one of these antennas and add it along with whatever nav unit you go with. Since you have nothing right now, the 730N/RER is likely what you'll want to get. It has the uconnect Bluetooth built in. If you get a 430N, it does not have Bluetooth hands free built in. It requires a delegate uconnect module and a starts an update from the dealership. The 730N is a bolt in and go unit. All you'd need is the dual antenna.

Also, with the 430N, you cannot use the uconnect module that was removed from somebody else's JK. The wire harness in the dash is different. If your jeep did not come with the 430N, you need the uconnect module ad on kit from mopar. It includes a jumper harness to integrate the uconnect module to the dash harness and radio. Again, this will require a starscan update at the dealership. Since the 430N with the superset uconnect module was never offered on 2007-2010 JKs, you may run into problems there since that sales code in starscan did not apply to your model year JK, and the dealership may or may not be able to add it to your starscan vehicle configuration.

Last edited by highoctane; 07-17-2016 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Eandras
The op has the low speed can-bus. The 2015 is a high speed can-bus
As already stated, but just to back it up, All JKs are HIGH SPEED Can-Bus systems. So make sure that is what you are looking for. Mine came from a 2011 3500 RAM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I will take a little and see if I can find a 730N RER for a good price. If not maybe then I will explore going with the Pioneer.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 430's have Garmin navigation and the 730's have another brand. Talk to people who have run both, word is that the 430 is a better nav unit.

Going to the aftermarket would allow you to be pretty much limitless and you could change things up to where backup cameras are enabled while driving, etc. The stock system reads info from the jeep so it's a little more difficult to defeat, shy of going to the lock pick or all gig.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 430's have Garmin navigation and the 730's have another brand. Talk to people who have run both, word is that the 430 is a better nav unit.

Going to the aftermarket would allow you to be pretty much limitless and you could change things up to where backup cameras are enabled while driving, etc. The stock system reads info from the jeep so it's a little more difficult to defeat, shy of going to the lock pick or all gig.
The 430s don't have the UConnect correct? Although at this point I am wondering if I should just go with the Pioneer. I honestly don't care so much about the NAV as in the past I have always just used my phone. My priority is Sirius first lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 430 doesn't have uconn built in, it'll require separate modules. The 730 is a package deal.

My other concern would be software updates as needed. You can do your own updates on aftermarket items, the factory items may not be as easy or cheap.

If all you're really concerned about is Sirius then the low level radio with Sirius is good. I've got one with a free trial of Sirius and it was only $15- out plugged right into where I pulled the stock radio out.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The 430 doesn't have uconn built in, it'll require separate modules. The 730 is a package deal.

My other concern would be software updates as needed. You can do your own updates on aftermarket items, the factory items may not be as easy or cheap.

If all you're really concerned about is Sirius then the low level radio with Sirius is good. I've got one with a free trial of Sirius and it was only $15- out plugged right into where I pulled the stock radio out.
You can do software updates (gracenote and firmware) easily and for free using navrepair.com
Old 07-24-2016, 01:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthony20031
Only one I have found is about $700

Are there any good options if I chose to go aftermarket with say Pioneer or some other brand? Or would that cost even more money?
Loads and at whatever price you want, 700 would get you something good and it's really worth looking into.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by anthony20031
So when I bought my 2010 JK Unlimited X I opted to just get the stock AM/FM radio with CD player. More recently I bought my wife the Renegade with the Uconnect with NAV and Sirius etc and realized I wish I had gotten it on mine lol.

So trying to figure out what I need to do and buy for mine. Can I just buy a MYGIG say on Ebay, get the Sirius tuner and be all set? I am concerned that since I got the basic radio that it won't have the appropriate connections or such for a MYGIG or UConnect etc.

Just to clarify I am doing this because I want NAV and Sirius.

Thanks for the help!
Bill Poindexter
238 Arbor Shores North
Newnan, GA 30265
678-596-4549
678-675-0149

Call this guy he builds, repairs and adds numerous gadgets to the nav units. He replaced my screen, updated my maps to current and made it direct plug in to gopro. I can also play movies for kids while driving.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfdfreddie
Bill Poindexter
238 Arbor Shores North
Newnan, GA 30265
678-596-4549
678-675-0149

Call this guy he builds, repairs and adds numerous gadgets to the nav units. He replaced my screen, updated my maps to current and made it direct plug in to gopro. I can also play movies for kids while driving.
Can you elaborate or show on this? What do you mean direct plug in for the GoPro? Can you actually see the live feed from the GoPro on your screen? Was this done with a lock pic? Or just a simple connection? Or programming? That really peaks my interest, because this would be sweet for a lot of things! Especially for me out storm chasing! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgrading stock radio?