Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

uploading musicto hard drive in 2013 430N deck

Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by soberbyker
You have to leave the car on for that right? Not walking away with my vehicle running where I live. Oh, and I've been loading the MP3s from a disc not a stick.
Correct; it has to be on. Sorry you live in a less-than-secure situation, but it's still home, right?
If you can find a friend with a computer and a memory stick, it's definitely faster than using individual CD-ROM discs. It also makes it easier and faster to create different folders for up-loading.
So, one option would be to take all your discs, rip them to a computer, create your folders on the memory stick (these are ridiculously cheap; a 4 GB stick can be had on Amazon for $5.50), transfer the individual tracks to the desired folders on the memory stik, then slip the memory stick in the port while you drive that incredible JK home and the contents should be uploaded by the time you get home!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
Correct; it has to be on. Sorry you live in a less-than-secure situation, but it's still home, right?
If you can find a friend with a computer and a memory stick, it's definitely faster than using individual CD-ROM discs. It also makes it easier and faster to create different folders for up-loading.
So, one option would be to take all your discs, rip them to a computer, create your folders on the memory stick (these are ridiculously cheap; a 4 GB stick can be had on Amazon for $5.50), transfer the individual tracks to the desired folders on the memory stik, then slip the memory stick in the port while you drive that incredible JK home and the contents should be uploaded by the time you get home!
While the files are on a CD, they are not in CDA format, they are MP3's, I have nearly 5000, 22 GB of MP3's on my computer, it would take a few DVD discs to hold them all and a whole lot of CDs.

Anyway, is there a limit as to how many files or folders you load, or can you load to the max size of the available space on the drive?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

While the files are on a CD, they are not in CDA format, they are MP3's, I have nearly 5000, 22 GB of MP3's on my computer, it would take a few DVD discs to hold them all and a whole lot of CDs.

Anyway, is there a limit as to how many files or folders you load, or can you load to the max size of the available space on the drive?

Thanks for your help.
While I don't know for certain, there is a high probability that the only limitation is the size of the hard drive in the 430n.
With 22 GB of tunes, no matter the format (MP3), using a 4 GB memory stick would require only 6 uploads and would be much, much faster than using the CD-ROM or DVD format.
Your 22 GB would pretty much eat up the available space on a 430n hard drive (as I recall, there is about 23-28 GB free space available beyond what was pre-loaded on the drive).
Old 02-06-2013, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

While I don't know for certain, there is a high probability that the only limitation is the size of the hard drive in the 430n.
With 22 GB of tunes, no matter the format (MP3), using a 4 GB memory stick would require only 6 uploads and would be much, much faster than using the CD-ROM or DVD format.
Your 22 GB would pretty much eat up the available space on a 430n hard drive (as I recall, there is about 23-28 GB free space available beyond what was pre-loaded on the drive).
OK, thanks again. The user portion size of the unit purports to be 28GB, so it's probably closer to the 23GB if it's anything like a PC hard drive stating 500GB but in reality is only 465 GB.

I've loaded a few CD's of MP3 and a portion of a DVD loaded with MP3, I'll pick up a USB memory stick and see if it's any faster loading.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just started loading music yesterday to the HD, painfully slow. Is there a way to choose random, in order or anything like that for playback without having any folders?
When you're in HDD mode, hit the Menu button on the upper right side of the unit. That will give you a Random box you can check. When checked, two crossing arrows will show up on the main HDD screen indicating its in Random mode.

The menu button gives different options depending on what mode you're in, so its worth exploring. When I mess around and choose different things, the random sometimes automatically goes away, so I have to go reset it.

Got my '13 in the 2nd week of Jan, have about 3/4 of my CDs loaded on so far. Can do 2 during each ride to/from work. Only have figured out how to load full disks, so I've only loaded the ones I like all the songs on. Next I'll start loading the ones I like only a few songs on and go back and delete the ones I don't like after loading the whole disk.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Run2Ga
When you're in HDD mode, hit the Menu button on the upper right side of the unit. That will give you a Random box you can check. When checked, two crossing arrows will show up on the main HDD screen indicating its in Random mode.

The menu button gives different options depending on what mode you're in, so its worth exploring. When I mess around and choose different things, the random sometimes automatically goes away, so I have to go reset it.

Got my '13 in the 2nd week of Jan, have about 3/4 of my CDs loaded on so far. Can do 2 during each ride to/from work. Only have figured out how to load full disks, so I've only loaded the ones I like all the songs on. Next I'll start loading the ones I like only a few songs on and go back and delete the ones I don't like after loading the whole disk.
WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Just checked that out and that's one of the things I was looking for, thank you. I have a ton of live performances, as such the same song may appear several times among my MP3s. Although each version is different, wasn't digging listening to the same song 5 times in a row with the alphabetical sort, random is the way to go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	dancing_chicken.gif
Views:	53
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	418833  
Old 02-09-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, you were absolutely correct about the difference in speed. I had a DVD filled with MP3's and a 16GB USB flash drive, both with just over 4 GB of MP3's, the USB was at a minimum 2 times faster transferring to the hard drive.

Thanks for suggesting it.

Quick Reply: uploading musicto hard drive in 2013 430N deck