Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wanna upgrade!

Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanna upgrade!

I want to upgrade my sound system...I'm pretty much maxing it out on the highway with no top or doors on. Never done this before...what exactly am I looking for new speakers? Do I need to get a new head unit?

Please educate me!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

A couple of questions - Did your jeep come with a hardtop from the factory ? and how much do you want to spend ?
I changed out all 4 speakers with coaxials and packed the sound bar with pillow stuffing .made a big difference to my ears,
Because every ear hear different . Go to a stereo shop and listen to the different speakers , then get what YOU like,
Every speaker manufacturer has a different sound -Just speakers can make a big difference.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chief_Airborne
I want to upgrade my sound system...I'm pretty much maxing it out on the highway with no top or doors on. Never done this before...what exactly am I looking for new speakers? Do I need to get a new head unit? Please educate me!
Yes get a new head unit. You can replace everything decently for around $1k if you are willing to buy on Amazon/eBay and do the work yourself. To do it well, you might push $2k. HU, amps, speakers, subs
Old 06-10-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tazzdogsocal
A couple of questions - Did your jeep come with a hardtop from the factory ? and how much do you want to spend ?
I changed out all 4 speakers with coaxials and packed the sound bar with pillow stuffing .made a big difference to my ears,
Because every ear hear different . Go to a stereo shop and listen to the different speakers , then get what YOU like,
Every speaker manufacturer has a different sound -Just speakers can make a big difference.
Yupe...hardtop from the factory.

Good information...Thanks!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattk11
Yes get a new head unit. You can replace everything decently for around $1k if you are willing to buy on Amazon/eBay and do the work yourself. To do it well, you might push $2k. HU, amps, speakers, subs
Thank you.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you take the actual top off or just the panels. He asked above because the speakers loose some kick when the plug in un-pluged. There's threads of how to do this on the forum.

As for the speakers I would buy a decent set of quality speakers that you like. You'd be surprised what just speakers can do..I run Polk audio speakers and sub in mine and enjoy them with a double din unit and amp
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Who the hell spends 2k on a sound system in a jeep, sorry not trying to be a dick but you can get 4 decent speakers for under 200, If I'm putting electronics in a jeep that can be accessed quickly by some shady people I don't want that much laying around in there
Old 06-12-2014, 02:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eclipse3319
Who the hell spends 2k on a sound system in a jeep, sorry not trying to be a dick but you can get 4 decent speakers for under 200, If I'm putting electronics in a jeep that can be accessed quickly by some shady people I don't want that much laying around in there
Yea I know. Even 1000 dollars is way to much. I wish I had a 1000 bucks.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eclipse3319
Haha, luckily you didn't come off as a dick. Depends on priorities. A question was asked and answered. Enjoy your $200 speakers, I know I enjoy my sound system the most out of any of my mods.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:06 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

If you're looking for living room quality sound, you'll have to spend big bucks on everything. If you just want the Jeep to sound as close as possible to what most OEM car audio systems sound like, replace the two front speakers with the Kicker JK Mopar Replacements for about $70. Just the front. The rear is not fixable without spending big bucks. And I want someone to please explain to me this "removing hardtop reduces sound level" business. Right now I think it's nonsense.

Quick Reply: Wanna upgrade!