Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

WARNING - Dealer reprogramming larger tire size (2012+)

Old 04-26-2013, 01:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure about the drive train issues, but if it's an automatic then it will run like crap if you don't get a PROCAL or something like it. Your difference in fuel economy alone could buy 4 PROCALS at 15000 miles per year not to mention the irritation of poor performance due to the transmission not knowing the actual shift points because its perceived RPM difference due to a 1" different tire diameter. I've tried this cheap approach and it doesn't work on an automatic...if you have a stick shift then don't worry about it, your speedo will be the only thing that's off.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
The wallaceracing dot com site says the 285 is a 32.71 versus 31.06 for the 255. That is about 5.4 percent difference so your speedo at 70 is off by 3.78 mph approx. That site even has a calculator that will compute the difference for you on the speedo but I didn't use it, only the tire size one for this. Very handy site for doing gears and tires.
Don't look at diameter, look at revolutions per mile - this will take into account the standing radius. You can check the percentage with a GPS, my 33s turn a hair over 4-1/2% less revs per mile and the GPS confirmed this

Go 'Noles !!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford

I'm no expert. So this could be all BS. But an auto that doesn't shift at the proper torque could cause problems with the torque converter and gears. And if one of those systems should fail for any reason, your warranty claim would surely be denied because of improper set-up. Some mods simply require other "supporting" mods to go with them. I really don't think your drivetrain will break tomorrow. But that doesn't make it any less important.
Torque converter is just a fluid pump to transfer the engines rotational energy to the transmission much like a clutch. Difference is that it uses the fluid flowing through the vanes attached to the engine to 'twist the driven part which rotates (or tries to) against the transmission input shaft giving the transfer of power. Not much to fail, maybe the lockup clutches, but not due to shifting at a different point.

Usually you want to modify the shift points for power and efficiency so the engine isn't lugging while keeping rpm high enough to be above stall so you don't needlessly heat up fluid and waste fuel with unneeded slip after putting on larger tires. This also keeps you in the power band as you drive when shifting is done by the control module and not the driver.

Go 'Noles !!
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by robinson86
I'm not sure about the drive train issues, but if it's an automatic then it will run like crap if you don't get a PROCAL or something like it. Your difference in fuel economy alone could buy 4 PROCALS at 15000 miles per year not to mention the irritation of poor performance due to the transmission not knowing the actual shift points because its perceived RPM difference due to a 1" different tire diameter. I've tried this cheap approach and it doesn't work on an automatic...if you have a stick shift then don't worry about it, your speedo will be the only thing that's off.
You would have to increase mileage from 18 mpg to 22 mpg to almost pay for 4 ProCal modules at $4.00 per gallon, or if you go from 18 to 19 you will be able to pay for one plus tax after 15,000 miles.

Go 'Noles !!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
You would have to increase mileage from 18 mpg to 22 mpg to almost pay for 4 ProCal modules at $4.00 per gallon, or if you go from 18 to 19 you will be able to pay for one plus tax after 15,000 miles.
Gas is close to $5 a gallon up here (I haven't converted it lately).

Mileage was aprox 18.5 MPG on the highway before the tires, and has gone to aprox 16.8 MPG - however I still need to do a lot more driving to confirm/validate that (and that's using the dummy gauge - converted to MPG).

Quick Reply: WARNING - Dealer reprogramming larger tire size (2012+)