Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

weak/absent front passenger turn signal

Old 06-15-2019, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weak/absent front passenger turn signal

Stock 2011 JK Wrangler Sport.

Sometimes the right turn signal blinks fast, and the front passenger signal light is not working.
When it IS working (i.e. not blinking fast), it is dim -- half the brightness of the other turn signal. Same with the hazards on. But when I put on parking lights or headlights, it is totally out.

Headlights and marker lights (both sides) all work fine.

I've replaced/swapped the bulb, and also replaced the receptacle, since it looked somewhat corroded (and the other side was not).

There are no codes when I attach an OBD code reader.

Any advice? Wiring harness next? Some kind of local ground issue on the output side of the TIPM? Where to look? It's a strange gremlin, and it will be out for days at a time, then work for a few days.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Try running a new ground wire from the light socket to a close-by ground point. If no ground point close by, make a new one.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. This was a partial solution! The light is no longer dim on that side (blinker or parking) when I ran a new ground to the connector. I'm still getting inconsistent episodes of the parking or turn signals not working. But they are no longer dim. And it seems to happen less often.

I think there is also a bad connection in the socket -- I replaced one socket with an aftermarket one from Quadratec. While it fits, I cannot get it to "snap" into the harness connector or slide that red slider down, I CAN do that with the OEM from the other side when I swap it out. Sometimes the signals work, sometimes not. I've physically compared the two and they sure look the same. I've ordered a pair of OEMs (will just replace connectors for both sides) to see how that works out. Also going to test with a light tester, but I have to luck out at home and have it on a day when things are not working right .... I hate chasing come-and-go gremlins like this.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 PM
JK Newbie

Just in case anyone searches this, 3 weeks later all is still well. Replacing one ground and replacing the Quadratec aftermarket socket with OEM Jeep sockets seemed to do the trick. The Quadratecs just did not click into the connector snugly.
The following users liked this post:
LC Boyer (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I’ve noticed that many after market electric devices don’t work as well

Quick Reply: weak/absent front passenger turn signal