Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Weird Electrical issue on 07 jk rubicon

Old 12-28-2019, 04:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weird Electrical issue on 07 jk rubicon

So I live down in south Florida and it has been raining non stop for the last almost two weeks. Now shockingly the jeep leaks ALL over. But usually not a problem. Well today I got in the jeep started it up (which it fired right up) and I noticed I have no signs of life on the dash at all and the headlights come on on their own I have no control. No response from the switch. My wipers are stuck on. Again no response from the switch. Radio works but my interior light does not. Power windows does do work. I checked the fuses no problem. Battery is only about 4 months old. I currently have it in the garage with a dehumidifier trying to get the moisture out of it. Any ideas what I'm dealing with? Did I fry the harness? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

There are fuses to protect the harness from over current. But water (especially dirty water) can still interfere (conduct) with the can bus and other low voltage signals without blowing fuses or damaging devices. The engine compartment and underside use water-proof connectors and devices, but the interior isn't that well protected. I live in a rainy climate too, the hard top is almost never off for this very reason. Unfortunate, but it is what it is...

You're doing the right thing by drying it out, and it may take a long time. Suggest having lots of air circulation under the dash. Those symptoms are similar to a bad TIPM, just something to keep in mind. Using an OBD2 scanner that will read the non-standard codes (JSCAN, Appcar DiagFCA, etc.) from the TIPM may be the next step if drying it out doesn't work.

Quick Reply: Weird Electrical issue on 07 jk rubicon