Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

what do i need with mygig

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do i need with mygig

im thinking about buying a mygig radio for my 2011 jeep jk. mine currently has the stock radio with no blue tooth just the simplest one. what will i need too install and get the mygig working im just looking to get the non navi thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cody_ca
im thinking about buying a mygig radio for my 2011 jeep jk. mine currently has the stock radio with no blue tooth just the simplest one. what will i need too install and get the mygig working im just looking to get the non navi thanks
Hopefully they have made major improvements over the 2007 version. It's DOS based operating system, a few gigs of space is hard wired for nav and the cd music database. It has corrupted the database for my music twice already. After spending days feeding CDs building it up. For the last year, it would display wma.file xxx instead of artist and song name but could not play the file. Songs I fed in by USB displayed the artist & song but would not play. Magically just last week, the music will play, but still has the mystery wma.track xx title. So you won't know what is what. Updates for nav are a few hundred dollars each.

There are times that no music, even radio, will not play although the head unit is powered on. Killing ignition then restarting does not reset the system. I'm chalking this up to the unit being DOS based and a hard-drive instead of Unix & solid state.

On a user interface note: song name; then artist; followed by album makes human sense. What song is that? Who sings it?
It is a geekfest interface. Alphabetical : album, artist, song. Instead of glancing at the screen while driving, your forced to read the screen for a few seconds while driving.

Maybe it's fixed. But I don't recommend $1000 for this when aftermarket units with better quality are around. My opinion. Me, I just use auxiliary in for music playback.

Edit: the unit is Unix based but the API for song database is dos.

Last edited by BlackRockBurner; 06-09-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 AM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say it depends on cost. ?

Quick Reply: what do i need with mygig