JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   What do you lose when you disconnect battery? (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/what-do-you-lose-when-you-disconnect-battery-58592/)

djdingo 10-17-2008 05:03 PM

What do you lose when you disconnect battery?

I have some projects coming up where I will have to disconnect the battery before installation. I always hate doing that because some electronic things get lost. But after reading some posts on here, I found out that on the radio the radio presets will stay put but the time will be reset. No biggie.

Is there anything else that gets reset? My main concern is the tripometers. I use the first trip to keep track of my mileage per full tank of gas and use the 2nd trip to keep track of mileage between oil changes.

Wondering if anyone out there knows if those get reset or not.

09SUNBURSTJK 10-17-2008 05:19 PM

I disconnected my battery to install my KC lights and didn't lose anything. The battery was unhooked only for about 30 minutes but my presets and pictures were all there when done. :yup:

djdingo 10-17-2008 05:28 PM

Oh, that's another thing, I don't have MyGig, I just have the standard factory stereo...single CD MP3 player, no satellite. RES one actually. I don't have any pictures on mine :(

RubiconRed_Flagstaff 10-17-2008 06:22 PM

You wont loose trip odometers, but you might loose time on the radio - at least I did. Everything else seems to be on a prom, (Programmable Read Only Memory).

HOWEVER, the longer you disconnect the battery, you CAN loose things like transmission shifting memory, etc. The tranny will "re-learn" your patterns pretty quick to.

So - I wouldn't worry about trip A and B.

One thing tho. You COULD write things down....

djdingo 10-18-2008 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff (Post 743078)
You wont loose trip odometers, but you might loose time on the radio - at least I did. Everything else seems to be on a prom, (Programmable Read Only Memory).

HOWEVER, the longer you disconnect the battery, you CAN loose things like transmission shifting memory, etc. The tranny will "re-learn" your patterns pretty quick to.

So - I wouldn't worry about trip A and B.

One thing tho. You COULD write things down....

LOL, I know I can write it down but then I'd forget I wrote it down and go too far behind oil changes.

What's this transmission shifting memory? I never heard of that before. How long would the battery have to be disco'd until that got wiped?

HolyJoe 10-18-2008 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by djdingo (Post 744483)
LOL, I know I can write it down but then I'd forget I wrote it down and go too far behind oil changes.

What's this transmission shifting memory? I never heard of that before. How long would the battery have to be disco'd until that got wiped?

That would be computer controlled shift points on an automatic.