Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What do you lose when you disconnect battery?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do you lose when you disconnect battery?

I have some projects coming up where I will have to disconnect the battery before installation. I always hate doing that because some electronic things get lost. But after reading some posts on here, I found out that on the radio the radio presets will stay put but the time will be reset. No biggie.

Is there anything else that gets reset? My main concern is the tripometers. I use the first trip to keep track of my mileage per full tank of gas and use the 2nd trip to keep track of mileage between oil changes.

Wondering if anyone out there knows if those get reset or not.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I disconnected my battery to install my KC lights and didn't lose anything. The battery was unhooked only for about 30 minutes but my presets and pictures were all there when done.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, that's another thing, I don't have MyGig, I just have the standard factory stereo...single CD MP3 player, no satellite. RES one actually. I don't have any pictures on mine :(
Old 10-17-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

You wont loose trip odometers, but you might loose time on the radio - at least I did. Everything else seems to be on a prom, (Programmable Read Only Memory).

HOWEVER, the longer you disconnect the battery, you CAN loose things like transmission shifting memory, etc. The tranny will "re-learn" your patterns pretty quick to.

So - I wouldn't worry about trip A and B.

One thing tho. You COULD write things down....
Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RubiconRed_Flagstaff
You wont loose trip odometers, but you might loose time on the radio - at least I did. Everything else seems to be on a prom, (Programmable Read Only Memory).

HOWEVER, the longer you disconnect the battery, you CAN loose things like transmission shifting memory, etc. The tranny will "re-learn" your patterns pretty quick to.

So - I wouldn't worry about trip A and B.

One thing tho. You COULD write things down....

LOL, I know I can write it down but then I'd forget I wrote it down and go too far behind oil changes.

What's this transmission shifting memory? I never heard of that before. How long would the battery have to be disco'd until that got wiped?
Old 10-18-2008, 11:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by djdingo
LOL, I know I can write it down but then I'd forget I wrote it down and go too far behind oil changes.

What's this transmission shifting memory? I never heard of that before. How long would the battery have to be disco'd until that got wiped?
That would be computer controlled shift points on an automatic.

Quick Reply: What do you lose when you disconnect battery?