Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What happens if... (winch question)

Old 09-16-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens if... (winch question)

Hello!!
I have a question now that i have my first winch (Warn 9.0RC).
In a normal winch installation, you install the winch on a front bumper, and run the wires to the battery and plug + and -. That's pretty much it. Then, to use the winch, you plug the remote control. So, there's no power to the winch if the remote control is not plugged in.
My question is... what happens if the winch goes underwater? let's say crossing a river that could get to your bumper, or maybe not so deep but the you fin a hole deep enough the put the bumper under the water or any other condition like this one happens...... is everything OK? i mean, no problem with the battery or the winch itself or any other electrical component for submerging the winch?

Thnx
Old 09-16-2011, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

could dry out and be fine - or could be dead x_x - they make water proof winches "recon" is one brand that comes to mind.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dgnr8
could dry out and be fine - or could be dead x_x - they make water proof winches "recon" is one brand that comes to mind.
Yeah but my question is not about the winch itself. I'm more worried about the connections to the battery. If you submerge a winch, you are submerging to wires that go to the battery... sorry for the ignorance, but for some reason i am confused if that's a problem or not.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Freak

Thumbs up

The pos and neg wires running to the battery will be fine. Over time a lot of exposure to different elements can make them brittle or corrode etc, but they should be ok.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

X2, well sorta! The electrical components of the motor are fully insulated all the way up to the carbon brushes. And the relays in the controls should be fully silled. So if you take care of your winch, water shouldn't be a real problem. If you don't already know. I'll list some basic maintenance procedures for taking care of electrical motors and components.
Keep clean and dry when not in use.
Keep out of direct sunlight if possible.
Clean with:
Compressed air ( Not more than 30psi )
Or vacume cleaner ( prefered )
Use solvents that are friendly to rubber and plastic.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Freak

The pos and neg wires running to the battery will be fine. Over time a lot of exposure to different elements can make them brittle or corrode etc, but they should be ok.
Lol... i wasn't worried about the integrity of the wires themselves, but more about a short or some electrical problem with the battery for submerging two wires that are directly connected to it. But it's OK, i get your point... i just wont worry about it
Thank you man
Old 09-16-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
X2, well sorta! The electrical components of the motor are fully insulated all the way up to the carbon brushes. And the relays in the controls should be fully silled. So if you take care of your winch, water shouldn't be a real problem. If you don't already know. I'll list some basic maintenance procedures for taking care of electrical motors and components.
Keep clean and dry when not in use.
Keep out of direct sunlight if possible.
Clean with:
Compressed air ( Not more than 30psi )
Or vacume cleaner ( prefered )
Use solvents that are friendly to rubber and plastic.
Hope this helps.
Of course it helps. Thnx
Old 09-17-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

bingote -
I installed my XRC8 by running the pos and neg directly to the battery without some lockout. While I didn't have the winch underwater like you are describing, NY likes to REALLY salt their roads.
What happened to me was the wiring from the remote port to the solenoid corroded and caused the winch to spool backward. It snarled the cable, which caused it to kink, scratched up my bumper, and I had to use a six foot breaker bar to loosen it enough to unhook it from the D-ring.
All-in-all, I'd recommend putting some kind of switch on the main power feeds.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think what the OP is eluding to is arcing? The DC voltage that the jeep runs, isn't enough voltage to allow the water to complete a connection. Unlike household AC voltage.. In theory you can submerge your battery 10 foot deep in water and it shouldn't have a problem as most batteries are of sealed design now. Now the rest of the jeep in that same 10ft of water will not fair as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TROUPP
I think what the OP is eluding to is arcing? The DC voltage that the jeep runs, isn't enough voltage to allow the water to complete a connection. Unlike household AC voltage.. In theory you can submerge your battery 10 foot deep in water and it shouldn't have a problem as most batteries are of sealed design now. Now the rest of the jeep in that same 10ft of water will not fair as well.
Thank you man, that's exactly what i was asking. Thnx a lot! Peace of mind now

Quick Reply: What happens if... (winch question)