Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

What light solution do you have for tailgate storage?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What light solution do you have for tailgate storage?

I want to put a led light in the tailgate storage area so when I open the tailgate it will light up (just like trunk light in other cars).

I was looking around and didn't find any thread for it. Anybody done it?

If I tap both positive and negative wires to the dome light so it will light up with dome light, would it work?

if you guys could show me some picture of your solution it would be helpful

Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Haven't done this myself (although now you have me thinking), but you would not need to tap both the positive and negative from the dome light, only the positive. You can ground anywhere a good connection is available and preferably the shorter the ground the better.

Depending on the wattage (probably very low from an LED or dome type light), you could always add a switch to the dash (15-20amp capacity switch), tap into an ignition only hot to the switch, then from the switch to the positive on the light, and then ground the light (and the rocker switch as well). This would allow you to turn the light on from the drivers seat as needed without needing to turn on the dome light.

I would assume that this is not something you would operate for long periods of time (and with low amperage draw) there shouldn't be a need for a relay. You probably would want to add an inline fuse between the dome light (or 12vdc power source if wiring to a switch) and the actual light in the tailgate storage area. This would prevent an overload from taking out your dome light or power source since it would blow the fuse ahead of the tapped line.

Just my 2cents worth...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by qiliu89
I want to put a led light in the tailgate storage area so when I open the tailgate it will light up (just like trunk light in other cars).

I was looking around and didn't find any thread for it. Anybody done it?

If I tap both positive and negative wires to the dome light so it will light up with dome light, would it work?

if you guys could show me some picture of your solution it would be helpful

Thanks guys.
i did ths with LED light strips for the front kick panels....tapped right into the Dome wire Yellow with a red tracer located on the passenger side front kick panel (there are two of them same wire.) I just took a stab at it and got it right. Probably didnt matter as it is more than likely one wire for each dome light front and rear (4dr.) You can hook your negative up to any good ground.

Good luck
Old 07-28-2009, 05:39 AM
JK Super Freak

sorry, had to do it,

Quick Reply: What light solution do you have for tailgate storage?