Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

where should after market fuses be placed?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where should after market fuses be placed?

with all the stuff that we all run through our fire walls where should in line fuses be? I'm thinking as close to the source end as possiable, right?
EXAMP: I just ran a wire (actually 3) from my winch to an internal power switch and then to a momentary switch (both switches are on the dash.)
the hot lead starts at the winch , then into the power switch, then to the momentary switch; then the power goes from the momentary switch back to the winch via 2 wires (in winch and out winch).
where should the fuses be and how many amps?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuses should be the next size up from the predicted amximum draw of the device. If the device draws 8 Amps, install a 10 Amp fuse. If it draws 15 Amps, install a 20 Amp fuse.

They should be installed as close to the power supply as possible. In your case they should be installed as close to the winch as possible. If you connected directly to the battery you would want the fuse there.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what the draw is on the hand held remote?

Quick Reply: where should after market fuses be placed?