Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Where would you wire 12v for a backup cam?

Old 03-26-2008, 09:10 AM
dth
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where would you wire 12v for a backup cam?

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a backup camera and am at a loss as to where to find the best place to get power to it. I have very little experience with automobile wiring. Would it be safe to tap the cigarette lighter? Is there somewhere better?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

The cigar lighter is only powered when the Jeep is on. That is a good place to start if you are only going to be adding the camera. If you are planning on adding more powered accessories, a powered block distribution system is the better way.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and please use the crimp method of taping into the power. It's a quicker and easier to splice. You can get these at auto parts stores or better hardware stores.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dth
Hi there,

I'm trying to install a backup camera and am at a loss as to where to find the best place to get power to it. I have very little experience with automobile wiring. Would it be safe to tap the cigarette lighter? Is there somewhere better?
The wiring kit that goes with the Lockpick system includes the power needed for a backup camera.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:44 PM
dth
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cmcginnes
The wiring kit that goes with the Lockpick system includes the power needed for a backup camera.
Thanks for the response. I am not using the Lockpick system.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easiest thing is to power it from from you backup lights. This way the cam will turn on whenever you throw your jeep into reverse...
Cig lighter is OK for the monitor
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by poppakristof
Oh, and please use the crimp method of taping into the power. It's a quicker and easier to splice. You can get these at auto parts stores or better hardware stores.
That's not good advice at all. Those cheap little "Crimpers" make things easier, but it's really not the right way to do things. Plus, I've personally found the slice connectors tend to fall off rather easily with time (as they are just cheap plastic...)

If you're going to tap into the cigarette lighter, do it the right way, or use some sturdier taps. I found that Posi-Taps work amazingly, and I don't see them having any issues that the generic wire taps have.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 AM
JK Junkie

Also, for one item, the cigarette lighter should be okay for powering things. However, don't get carried away, as this just one of those "easy" solutions. If you are going to be powering many items, you can pick up switch box, of course, or you can make your own auxillary fuse box coming off the battery.

I know painless Wiring has a few kits that would work. I think that's what Poppakirstof was getting at.

Last edited by Robar; 03-16-2009 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Edited blacklisted manufacturer
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 AM
JK Junkie

I used the cigarette lighter for my back up camera. Works great.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Junkie

If you solder the connection correctly you will break the wire before you can separate the solder connection! If you use the clip you can easily rip the connector right off with little effort. So if you want to make a trouble free connection then go with solder, otherwise you will be revisiting the connection you made sometime in the future. (usually in the most inconvenient spot like way out in the boonies!)

So take a few seconds and make that solder connection so you never have to worry about it again!

Quick Reply: Where would you wire 12v for a backup cam?