Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Why are my headlamps burning all the time???

Old 04-29-2018, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why are my headlamps burning all the time???

1st off I have some cheap halos, I'm pretty they are cheap, there's not name on them but they were on the jeep when I purchased. Anyway the lights come on as soon as I put the vech. in any gear. If I turn them completely off then they burn on high beam and low beam, if I go to Auto they will burn on low beam, this of course is happening during the day time.
I just installed the Rigid anti flickers and that didn't help at all and seems I have a slight flicker in the drivers light as well.
Any clues will be appreciated, thanks.
It's a 2014 Sahara, sorry.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:33 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Is it possible that a prior owner programmed the daytime running lights on? I know an AEV ProCal can do that. Since programmers are almost always tied to a vehicle VIN, if so, he should have either removed the program, or given you it when you bought the Jeep.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Is it possible that a prior owner programmed the daytime running lights on? I know an AEV ProCal can do that. Since programmers are almost always tied to a vehicle VIN, if so, he should have either removed the program, or given you it when you bought the Jeep.
I understand but not sure how to fix that. I have nothing as far as the programming goes and not sure how to do it.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by tnheritage
I understand but not sure how to fix that. I have nothing as far as the programming goes and not sure how to do it.
Guessing that the previous owner may have used an AEV ProCal, suggest that you contact AEV and see if there's something they can do to help you out. Here is their contact page ...

https://www.aev-conversions.com/contact

You might start off by asking if there's some way that you can confirm if a ProCal has been used on the Jeep. There may be other programmer manufacturers that add DRLs to their feature list, though AEV is the only one with which I'm familiar. If you had the original programmer, then you could connect it up to the OBD port and follow the ProCal instructions to turn off the DRLs. You can see what that would be like if you had the programmer here ...

http://www.aev-conversions.com/ishee..._JK_ProCal.pdf

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
tnheritage (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

There may be other programmer manufacturers that add DRLs to their feature list, though AEV is the only one with which I'm familiar.
I know my Bully Dog 40417 can program DRLs, but I'd agree with Mark that most seem to use the ProCal. Not sure if DRL is the culprit or not, but it's at least worth looking in to. I'd think though that the previous owner would have had the exact same issue you are having, and it would have driven them crazy as well. Know anyone around you could swap a different headlight in there and see if the results change at all? Are there some cheap OEMs on craigslist you could experiment with?
Old 05-01-2018, 02:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I know my Bully Dog 40417 can program DRLs, but I'd agree with Mark that most seem to use the ProCal. Not sure if DRL is the culprit or not, but it's at least worth looking in to. I'd think though that the previous owner would have had the exact same issue you are having, and it would have driven them crazy as well. Know anyone around you could swap a different headlight in there and see if the results change at all? Are there some cheap OEMs on craigslist you could experiment with?
There may be, what I don't understand is even when the lights are turned in the off position that's when they burn on bright and dim the same time, I really don't get that.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by tnheritage
There may be, what I don't understand is even when the lights are turned in the off position that's when they burn on bright and dim the same time, I really don't get that.
If you were dealing with something like a TruckLight or JW Speaker, think we could definitely say there is some problem. I think the X factor of a cheap chinese LED...gotta throw everything out the window as experiences could be very hit and miss. I think if it were me, I'd find something to swap in there just to confirm that everything indeed works properly (or not) and then be able to determine this is something with the specific light and not the jeep itself.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Guessing that the previous owner may have used an AEV ProCal, suggest that you contact AEV and see if there's something they can do to help you out. Here is their contact page ...

https://www.aev-conversions.com/contact

You might start off by asking if there's some way that you can confirm if a ProCal has been used on the Jeep. There may be other programmer manufacturers that add DRLs to their feature list, though AEV is the only one with which I'm familiar. If you had the original programmer, then you could connect it up to the OBD port and follow the ProCal instructions to turn off the DRLs. You can see what that would be like if you had the programmer here ...

http://www.aev-conversions.com/ishee..._JK_ProCal.pdf

Good luck!
Mark, you hit the nail on the head my friend, seems the Jeeps that come from Canada will need the procal to delete or defeat the DRL's, since I have the halo's I don't need the DRL's so I need to adjust for the bigger tires anyways. Looks like the AEV Procal will be a future order.
Thanks, I appreciate all the help.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:26 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

So you confirmed that DRL setting is indeed on? Kinda seems odd that while off (DRL on) both low AND high are burning. That is not what DRL would normally do. DRL should just be sending a lower voltage to the low beam no?? Maybe something goes arye due to it being LED? Well either way, hopefully turning DRL off will fix you up.
Old 05-04-2018, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
So you confirmed that DRL setting is indeed on? Kinda seems odd that while off (DRL on) both low AND high are burning. That is not what DRL would normally do. DRL should just be sending a lower voltage to the low beam no?? Maybe something goes arye due to it being LED? Well either way, hopefully turning DRL off will fix you up.
I'll agree that it's odd for sure but knowing that all vech. from Canada has the DRL's and seeing a post from another forum where a guy had the exact same issue confirmed to me the real issue as well.
Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Why are my headlamps burning all the time???