Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Winch disconnect install.

Old 12-23-2018, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch disconnect install.

Hey all, not sure if anybody has similar concerns but as a former yacht electrician, I tend to be over cautious with electrical items. I recently purchased a mount plate and winch for my new to me '15 JKU willys.
I chose a rock hard mount and the Q-tech stealth winch. I want a bumper later but this got me the winch on for now. I also bought the Q-tech battery buss bars. Decent quality but I had to shave a little here and there to make them sit perfect for the most contact.
My concern, (perhaps unfounded) was the high amp unprotected wire, so I installed a marine disconnect switch for safety. Again, other my think I'm nuts but I wanted to share how it worked out for me. ​​​​​​​

Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM
JK Newbie

This looks great, i've been thinking about doing something like this but couldn't seem to fit that switch under there. Do you have more pictures from the install? Also what type of connection is that on your battery?
Old 01-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yup, very clean install.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 15_JKUR
This looks great, i've been thinking about doing something like this but couldn't seem to fit that switch under there. Do you have more pictures from the install? Also what type of connection is that on your battery?
Thank you for the comment.. Sorry I do not have anymore pictures. The buss bars are from quadratech https://www.quadratec.com/products/17004_9003.htm very nice but you have to file them a little for a perfect level fit on the flats of the O.E. battery terminals. The switch is available from a marine supply store or online it's nice and the back is protected with plastic. I dunno it's extra peace of mind for me..
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Did you trim that plastic piece near the switch to mount it directly to the fender well?

Also what amperage switch is that?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:23 PM
JK Newbie

No trimming.. the switch is available in a few amp ratings I went over the winch and battery rating of 650
Old 01-08-2019, 09:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Great idea.

Quick Reply: Winch disconnect install.