JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/)
-   -   Wire connection question (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-electrical-lighting-sound-systems-13/wire-connection-question-323181/)

P1TBU11 06-23-2015 09:15 PM

So if I'm running two lights on the same switch do I plug the formula with the numbers from one light or both? It made a difference.

Mark Doiron 06-24-2015 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by P1TBU11 (Post 4114639)
So if I'm running two lights on the same switch do I plug the formula with the numbers from one light or both? It made a difference.

If you have one wire carrying the current for two lights (or how many ever), then you need to add the currents together. The voltage is not added together since it does not change. However, you say "switch". If by that you mean the switch that activates a relay, the relay of which provides the current to the lights, then ignore the current drawn by the lights and use the current drawn by the relay coil. If you have more than one relay coil provided current by one power lead, then in that case you'd add the current for all relay coils together. Generally speaking, relay coils we use for controlling lights draw only a small amount of current and aren't much concern. But, if you have a common power lead powering both the input to the switched contacts of all the relays (usually direct from the battery), as well as the voltage for the relay coils, then you add ALL of those currents together to size that wire.

Another important point: The current draw you calculate also applies to the ground return path. That is, the wire for the ground return path must also be capable of carrying the current load. Since often times that can be a pigtail from each individual light assembly to a nearby metal ground, it is only carrying the current for that one light. But all of that, again, depends exactly on how you're going to wire up your lights. If you're running roof lights and you don't trust a connection to the light bar (a good decision), and you don't want to drill a hole in your upper windshield frame (another good decision), then you'll have a long ground wire to contend with, and it may be carrying the current for how many ever lights you have up there.

These answers you're receiving assume you have an understanding of the most basic of electric principals, but by your questions perhaps you don't. Without knowing exactly how you intend to wire up your lights, you may not be getting the best answers from us. Perhaps you could sketch up a wiring diagram of what you intend?

P1TBU11 06-24-2015 01:52 AM

I pretty much have zero knowledge of the topic. For this reason, I bought a SPOD. I plan to run both power and ground to it.

When I say run two lights to one "switch, I mean run both power and ground wires from both lights to a common point on the SPOD so that they will share a power source (and ground).

I was told elsewhere just to use 14 or 16 guage wire and forget it....I just want my lights to be as bright as possible and not to get screwed up.

14Sport 06-24-2015 02:18 AM

If you're running two lights off one load power wire (wire, not switch) then the draw of the lights have to be added together for your calculations. If you are running a separate power wire and ground wire for each light to the sPOD source, then you only need to use the draw of one light in the calculation. If you don't know the amperage of the lights, you can use the formula watts/volts=amps. If you are returning the ground wire to the sPOD source, then you need to add the length of both the power and ground wires together for your wire gauge calculation.

Read ALL the notes at the bottom of this calculator that I use since you have no knowledge at this point. It will give you a better understanding.

Wire Size Calculator

P1TBU11 06-24-2015 06:07 PM

I want to thank you guys for the replies and links. I installed my sPOD and A pillar lights today. It was a simple install. I had no problems even though I had been up all night (work) and have ZERO electrical experience.

I'm satisfied with the results and have more to come.

14Sport 06-25-2015 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by P1TBU11 (Post 4114880)
I want to thank you guys for the replies and links. I installed my sPOD and A pillar lights today. It was a simple install. I had no problems even though I had been up all night (work) and have ZERO electrical experience.

I'm satisfied with the results and have more to come.

Great news. Good job!!! :clap: As you've learned, it is not really that hard, more tedious than anything, if you follow the principles and techniques of basic wiring. Glad I could be part of your success.