Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring fog lights,... do or don't

Old 10-14-2012, 01:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keithvegas
In my '12 one is switched and one isn't. I believe the one in the center arm rest is always on and the one in the dash is switched.
Right, that's why I tapped into the one in the dash. It does go off when I shut down the jeep...

Here's what I think and correct me if I'm wrong:
My switch as 3 connections:
Grd
Power
Acc

So it's grounded and the power is comming from the cigarette/acc in the dash

The 3rd wire goes to my relay under the hood.

So to light up my fog lights, the switch sends an electricity signal to my relay and it click ON. But when I shut down the jeep, there is just no more power in the switch and no OFF signal is sent, and the fog lights stays on....????

Is that what's happening...?

How can I correct that...?
Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepincanada
Right, that's why I tapped into the one in the dash. It does go off when I shut down the jeep...

Here's what I think and correct me if I'm wrong:
My switch as 3 connections:
Grd
Power
Acc

So it's grounded and the power is comming from the cigarette/acc in the dash

The 3rd wire goes to my relay under the hood.

So to light up my fog lights, the switch sends an electricity signal to my relay and it click ON. But when I shut down the jeep, there is just no more power in the switch and no OFF signal is sent, and the fog lights stays on....????

Is that what's happening...?

How can I correct that...?
Incorrect thinking. There is no OFF signal. Applied power from the switch turns the relay on. Removing power ( by turning the switch OFF or by the accessory power turning OFF ) should let the rely drop out. You have something wired wrong?
Old 10-14-2012, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

I know I wired something wrong.. I'm wondering what...

I know my acc tap is good, grd is good, could it be a connection at my relay ?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie

It has to be where you connected your switch to power. This circuit is staying hot all the time.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JK-Ford
It has to be where you connected your switch to power. This circuit is staying hot all the time.
like I said, I taped into the acc/cigarette(in dash) outlet.. there is only 2 wires back there.. one blue/pink(power) and one black/white(GRD)... not sure where I could've gone wrong there.. And this outlet(in dash) shuts down when I stop the jeep...
I tried reversing the wires on the switch (ACC and PWR) and when I do that the switch light in on when the fogs are off and vice versa...
=(
Old 10-15-2012, 03:44 AM
JK Junkie

This electrical system for your new lights isn't that complicated. When you send power to the relay thru the switch, the lights come ON. When you take away the power to the relay ( switch or accessory circuit ) the lights go OFF.

If your lights are staying ON after you turn the ignition off, then only two possible problems. 1) You still have power to the switch. 2) The relay is stuck.

You can eliminate the stuck relay by simply turning OFF the switch. If the lights go OFF, then you still have power to the lights. ---Simple as that.

Quick Reply: Wiring fog lights,... do or don't