Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Wiring to replace front woofer and tweeter

Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring to replace front woofer and tweeter

I have a 2013 with the base stereo system. I have purchased Polk DXi6501 component speakers for the front. I am trying to figure out how to wire the line in to the crossover from the stock headunit. I know how to wire from the crossover to the woofers and tweeters so you don't need to go there. What wires should I run as the line in to the crossover? Is the stock woofer receiving a full spectrum output from the stock headunit or is there a crossover somewhere (in the headunit or somewhere else)? If it is receiving a full spectrum output then I can just use that as the line in to the crossover. If it is not full spectrum then I would be losing the tweeter ranges by using that as the line in. What should I do in this case? I know I am not the first to come across this. Thanks for your help.

P.S. I came across this wiring diagram.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/atta...7&d=1203785241
It looks like there is a common speaker output going to both speakers and the system just relies on speaker response to "regulate" itself. If that is the case then the woofer line in could be used as the crossover line in, but I really want someone else to give their feedback from experience. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed this exact setup about 6 months ago. The stock tweeters and woofers are on the same channel (line is just split) from the HU meaning that they both get full spectrum audio. I used the line from the stock woofer for my crossover input and just taped off the stock tweeter line but you could use either.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:09 PM
JK Newbie

Perfect! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wiring to replace front woofer and tweeter