Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

PTAaron’s 2017 JKU

Old 02-18-2021, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Today’s delivery:

Quadratec class 2 hitch receiver with plug and play wiring harness.

Hard to believe the pricing and the apparent ease of installation for this (with wiring included) vs just a hitch receiver for my old Patriot or my ex’s Saturn Vue!
Old 02-20-2021, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

Another extremely easy project down... the hitch and wiring are installed

i know everyone has seen one of these before, just documenting for my future self.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Well my plan to go a month without buying Jeep parts failed...

Last week I got a Rugged Ridge front sunshade... did a test fit last weekend and decided I hated it. Harder than it should have been to install and with the freedom panels in it didn’t look good and sagged in the front. So that is on its way back to quadratec.

In the meantime I had some Amazon gift cards to spend so I ordered a dead pedal that doesn’t require assembly to be used

Along with a different front sunshade that had some good reviews:

I’ll test fit this one later in the week... seems like it will be easier to put up and take down but we’ll see.

Also on the way from Quadratec are some Kicker speakers for the front and sound bar (not the Mopar kicker upgrade, the other version they sell) and a flashlight mount for the seat frame - the LED 3D Maglite for the holder arrived yesterday.

Also hit a palindrome number on the odometer this morning:

Whatever, I thought it was cool.

I’ll post up pics of the speaker install... I’m probably going to pick up some poly fill before I tackle it so I can stuff the front speaker boxes and sound bar as well.
The following users liked this post:
RickLB (05-19-2023)
Old 03-14-2021, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Friday after work I installed my new speakers in the front and in the sound bar. Sound bar was super simple, just 6 screws per side - except I dropped one of the screws and it somehow bounced inside of a bag and took me about 15 minutes to find.
Front speakers were not as easy, but not hard at all.
I didn’t get the poly fill yet so I didn’t stuff the speaker boxes.
the sound improvement is incredible over stock! There is bass now! Next step will be to replace the sash tweeters.

Sound bar before

Sound bad after

Comparison shot

Minor size difference in the magnets... haha! Also the Kickers are metal while stock are plastic.

I also installed a seat frame flashlight holder - that install took all of 90 seconds after finding the right Allen wrench:

Excuse the salt covered floor mat... it will be clean once we’re out of snow season for sure.

I also installed the dead pedal (no pics). Another simple 60 second install.
I’m not sure I like it though. I like the concept, but after decades of driving manual transmission cars I find that I keep trying to use it as a clutch pedal!
Going to give it some time because without it I was wishing for a spot to rest my foot.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

New item just showed up from Amazon today...

A little added security... both for under hood items and to make sure the hood stays in place if those flimsy looking rubber straps on the latches decide to fail.
I like that it lets you use your Jeep key for the lock.
Also very cool that it comes with extra pins for the grill!

Last edited by PTAaron; 03-14-2021 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Wooo... that was a rough install. Took almost 2 minutes after detaching the grille and finding my rivet gun.

Cleaned the salt off the frame before riveting the lock in place.

Pretty subtle once the grille is back on.

Last edited by PTAaron; 03-14-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2021, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Meant to post this up earlier... my JK and my dad’s ‘99 Cherokee (don’t know the letter designation?)

Old 05-07-2021, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Default New goodies have arrived

Been a little while, but the next round of goodies has arrived. I ordered a Teraflex 1.5” leveling kit and some “euro” headlight adjuster screws.

I’m pretty excited about the leveling kit - I want just a little bit of lift and this will fit the bill nicely. I just need to get some time at my cousin’s house because he’s got a vehicle lift that will make the install easier.

I'm going to be getting a set of 2021 rubicon rims with the “factory” Falken M&T 33” tires pretty soon so hopefully the leveling kit will get me the clearance I need. I’m not sure if I’ll need spacers or not, but that’s not a problem if I do.
I’ve been looking for a local set of KO2s but I keep missing them so the Falkens are gonna probably be the ones.

just need to “re-find” the how to on the adjuster screws for the headlights and that should be an easy job.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Installed the “Leveling Kit” today... I wish I had taken a measurement of the “before” height but I got distracted and didn’t.
Took about 3 and a half hours with me doing 98% of the work. Used my cousin’s garage to do the work - he’s got a great setup. Him and my dad both sat in nice leather chairs and watched while I was doing it. LOL!
They did help troubleshoot a couple little issues that popped up though.

Old 05-28-2021, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Tomorrow afternoon I’ll be doing a little bit more work on the JK...

Quick Reply: PTAaron’s 2017 JKU