Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

speed sensor on 2014 JK.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed sensor on 2014 JK.

Hello everyone. I had a sensor replaced at dealer once and it cost me $350...After watching Youtube video on how to replace and how much the part cost, i swore I would never let e dealer do it again. Well, I got the message again. I cycled the key 3 times and never got an error code. I conneced my code reader still no error code. I decide to change all 4 sensors. $100 for all 4 isn't bad. I switched out the front ones and the code still came on. I switched out the back ones and code disappeared. It apparently was one of the back sensors. What has me concerned is that the back sensors had metal filing on them when removed. Is this normal? They are original and my jeep has almost 60,000 miles on it. I hope this isn't a sign of bad things to come...

Old 11-03-2018, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It doesn't look like the sensor was rubbing on anything. How old are the rear brake pads and disc? If the shoes are down to metal, that could be the source of the filings on the sensor.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

pads are low but not hitting metal. I already ordered replacements.
Old 11-05-2018, 04:19 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

My experience is that looks normal, and all that was necessary was to wipe it off and re-fasten it.

On my 2008, both rear sensors now get cleaned every year or two as preventative maintenance. During replacement of the rear pads I also took off the rotor/drum and cleaned out the parking brake & axle area with water -- the reluctor (tone ring) is on the axle. The sensor is exposed inside the parking brake drum and attracts any iron particles from wear/corrosion, which is worse with water crossings.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 AM
JK Newbie

Thank You. Good Idea about cleaning the sensor every year as a maintanance point. Easy to get too in back.
Thanks again.
3%

Quick Reply: speed sensor on 2014 JK.