Notices
JK Garage - Member Builds Post your Jeep builds here and share your experiences on the build with the JK-Forum community.

What would you do?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
With 35's and flats I would do 2.5" for sure over a 3.5. I would rather have a progressive coil as well, not a dual rate for a overland build for a more consistent ride when loaded or unloaded.
The new springs from RK are progressive.
Old 12-31-2018, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick Grimes
I'm curious to when you had your lift........ The resin being they have redone their coils... In fact, when I won this kit, a year ago this December, it was delayed four months because of the new springs and brackets they came out with. They now use a progressive spring and the kit was the very first one with the new spring. I am NOT going off of what RK has said about there being more lift than advertised and them stronger. I am going off of customers on various JK and Jeep forums. I was on five different ones yesterday on top watching YouTube videos. You can actually see a sharp split in reviews going from bad to good after they made improvements to their products. I already have the kit in my position.
I think I ordered the MC over the summer so it would have been probably 6 months before then. I went round and round with RK about the height and the insane amount of rust despite living in a place where rust isn't usually an issue and I keep my vehicle pretty clean.

They may have "improved" but even then, why am I the guinea pig (as Dirtman mentioned earlier) and then when you're using me for testing, offer no support? They said it was unusual to carry the amount of weight that I have (20lbs aluminum rear bumper and a stock spare) which is what caused the sag, then a week later looking at the same picture, they said it was normal. It's just not the kind of product I would want near my vehicle again.

Two friends ordered kits (3.5" max travel with Fox shocks)- 2dr and 4dr Rubicons- neither see many miles because the guys are deployed frequently- same issue with the rust and same issue with the lower than advertised lift height. They had no bumpers, no tire carriers, no weight, and still didn't measure up to 3.5". One has since moved on to a new kit and took a huge loss on the RK.

But they've moved to a new coil and they say they've got a new powdercoater so maybe your mileage will vary. I would just hate for you to put in the time to do this kit and end up where my friend was- try to order a new kit, unload that one, and not drain the bank account. Buy once, cry once. Though you don't have to purchase this one, I'd let that fish back out in the river for someone else.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:00 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

To each their own on what brand they want to choose, but greasing the joints on those 8 control arms is gonna be future fun times for you if you stick with them. I have RK 3.5" springs on my jeep, and they've been ok for my use (in North Texas) for 3.5+ years now. The finish on them indeed sucked, but I just don't have rust issues around here. The only other RK item I had was the front TB. Without expanding needlessly, that TB is no longer on my jeep and I wasn't impressed at all with the interactions I had with RK. I wouldn't want to eff around with all those joints if I were you. What was "free" up front is going to cause a lot of heartache later down the road.

I have Metalcloak control arms, and am probably one of few that actually regreases those every 12-18 months (lotta people just fly with the "they're maintenance free!" idea). That is still a pain as it's removing the full control arm and removing the bushings, but I'd STILL rather do that than jack around with those RK joints and having to grease them regularly with that 000 grease.

I'm sure it's difficult to think some yahoos online are telling you to dump what looks like a pretty nice prize. That will be up to you in the end. I'm along with Karl on this one.....Throw it out there for sale as brand new lift you didn't end up needing, and use the funds to buy something else.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

So I'll add another point of reference. I have RK 3.5 inch progressive springs and I get 3 1/8" of lift out of them. I DO have a heavier than normal rig though. The springs haven't sagged as of yet (2 years). I DO like that they have a considerable amount of extension to them so they don't fall out with my suspension setup. (longer travel shocks)

I used to have the RK control arms (several years ago) but have since moved to Currie CAs with johnny joints and prefer them (easy maintenance and repair).

Quick Reply: What would you do?