Notices
JK Member Write-Ups Consolidation of all current information from 'Member Writeups which includes JK Garage - Member Builds, Jeeping Lifestyle, JK Write-Ups)

DIY rigid MoLLE Panel/ PALS

Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DIY rigid MoLLE Panel/ PALS

I didn't see a write up like this on any wrangler forums that I could find. Hope it's not a repeat. Some of what I'm presenting is stolen from a toyota off road forum and some of it is of my own. This saved me a little money and I thought I would share.

This write up doesn't include mounting since there are a number of ways depending on location such as the back of the front seats vs the left and right triangle-ish roll bar space at the rear of the vehicle.

My first attempt at this was for an ammo can mounted over the wheel well for storage.

Read all the way through before starting.

Materials:
Scrap Perf SS Grill Mesh or crap Perforated square grill mesh from Custom car Grills. Https://www.customcargrills.com/scrap-grill-mesh.asp
self etching primer
choice of spray paint color
If chosing Perf SS grill mesh you will also need
1" type 4 square weave webbing
Windlace to cover those metal edges.
Optional-1"plastic tri-glides I prefered ITW brand but any will do

Tools:
Angle grinder with cut off wheel and flapper disc. Dremel with lots of cut off wheels and a hand file will also work.
cardboard
Sharpie
tape measure
lighter or fabric hot knife to sear the ends of webbing after cutting.

Select the location you want to mount your rigid panel and measure, twice, the space. Order your piece of scrap material big enough to cover the space.
Make a cardboard template of your space and double then triple check it for fitment.
Transfer your template to the scap material you ordered and cut it out. Flapper wheel or and file those burs off. (the windlace used for added protection on the final product from the edges.)
Primer and paint both sides.
Stop here and mount if you bought the perforated square mesh material.

If you bought the Perf SS material then keep reading.
Reference the photos. (they aren't my final product, just for examples) Start by weave a tri-glide on the end of a length of webbing. Sinch that down. Then weave and to secure the other end weave a second tri-glide on. It keeps the webbing from pulling out. The use of tri-glides are optional. One of the photos shows how to weave without them so the webbing doesn't pull out.
When you transferred your template to this piece be sure to pay attention to the orientation of the slots. I chose horizontal so when I wove the webbing on ithe webbing was vertical. This requires the use of MoLLE speed clips Horizontally in order to make the PALS system that the MoLLE pouches will secure to.
PALS dimensions are 1" webbing spaced 1" apart and stitched with a bartac stitch every 1.5" what I did was avoid sewing and make it where I can customize the PALS system as my needs and wants changed.
If you orient the slots vertical you avoid the need for speed clips and save that expense.
Either way, this is why you order a pice bigger than the space you measured so you can fit the final piece properly.

Had trouble uploading the photos so here is a link to drop box. https://www.dropbox.com/home/Rigid%2...0panel-%20PALS Let me know if you have issues seeing the photos.

Last edited by Damien Ristaino; 09-24-2020 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Spelling, punctuation and grammer plus added info.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures

Unable to view anything

Quick Reply: DIY rigid MoLLE Panel/ PALS