Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 high/low uses

Old 07-31-2013, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, newb alert. I've got a '13 JKUR and I was told to use 4lo pretty much all the time on trails, especially on climbs and descents. I noticed that on a steep descent if I had it in D, then it would roll very slowly for a bit, shift and then I'd have to get on the brakes to keep from going too fast. When I kept it in D1, then I'd hardly need to use the brake at all. When should I use D vs D1 vs D2? Also, those are the only gear options right?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Xarvet
Ok, newb alert. I've got a '13 JKUR and I was told to use 4lo pretty much all the time on trails, especially on climbs and descents. I noticed that on a steep descent if I had it in D, then it would roll very slowly for a bit, shift and then I'd have to get on the brakes to keep from going too fast. When I kept it in D1, then I'd hardly need to use the brake at all. When should I use D vs D1 vs D2? Also, those are the only gear options right?
when going down steep stuff D1 lo is the best because you don't need to use your brakes as much if at all and you can controll your vehicle much better. You can use all your gears just depends on how fast you are traveling. For the slowest speeds you use lower gears.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by no clue
I use 4 lo in deep sand and slow moving areas and 4 hi on flat hard-pack dirt trails.
x2.

Are you manual or auto?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Super Freak

If you use your Hill Decent button you'll never have to touch the brakes while in 4lo heading down a hill. Read your owners manual, you'll learn how to use your Jeep properly!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Freak

I recommend using the manual shifting when on the trail. The new auto works great for it. I will have mine in 1st for the techicle stuff, move of to second or third depending in the more mellow secctions.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by idiotec

I recommend using the manual shifting when on the trail. The new auto works great for it. I will have mine in 1st for the techicle stuff, move of to second or third depending in the more mellow secctions.
Or just buy a manual
Old 08-13-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
If you use your Hill Decent button you'll never have to touch the brakes while in 4lo heading down a hill. Read your owners manual, you'll learn how to use your Jeep properly!
Not all JKUR's have "Hill descent." --In fact, I wasn't even aware that was an option on the Wrangler, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Those of us who have been wheeling long enough would call that something akin to a "Land Rover Option", meaning "ooh, pretty..." -but not needed. Apparently I didn't spend enough, I don't have that option in mine.

The end goal is if you're doing a lot of downhill, you want to use a combination of brakes and gearing. Don't over-rev or put too much stress on the motor, don't ride the brakes and bake them to a mushy, burnt mess. If you can't do that, then use this magical "hill decent" button

The owner's manual, or "Manuel" as we refer to him on here, will refer you to the operation of "hill descent" if you have that option.

Originally Posted by idiotec
Yes! Lots of people "lock out" in 1st gear while climbing. Shifting creates heat, heat is bad for automatic transmissions. Keep the transmission in a gear that's turning the engine 2000-3000 rpm so that fluids are circulating well. Just don't exceed 15mph or so in 4-low, and that goes for you, too, Manuel (6-speed manual).

Quick Reply: 4 high/low uses