Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4-lo + 1st Gear Descent = Dead Battery?

Old 03-10-2010, 09:00 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4-lo + 1st Gear Descent = Dead Battery?

Quick question to get a little advice and direction.

I was in a steep grade wet hardpack descent which required me to be in 4-lo + L1 (A/T) to keep things under control.

About 25' in I noticed my aux HID lights begin to flicker, so I stopped and revved the motor a little to get the alternator spinning again. Came into a technical spot to get around some roots and the motor began to sputter a little, therefore thought it was either fuel starvation from the incline or the alternator not charging the battery to keep things running.

With about 30' to go, she stalled and I got to the bottom through sheer luck by standing on the brake and e-brake. Tried to turn her over but the battery didnt have enough juice to turn the motor over fully so I waited for my buddy to come down and he jumped me back to life.

Should I be looking at new batteries? If so, I'll probably get the yellow top and I'll be pretty irked that a Jeep with a build date of less than a year with under 15k miles would require a new one.

Or should I be taking the Jeep to the dealer to have them check out my alternator / fuel pump amongst other things?
Old 03-10-2010, 09:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Alternator

I would probably have my alternator checked out first before buying anything. Obviously a yellow top is very nice, but the batter shouldnt necessarily die due to low rpm. Any auto parts store should do a free check on the alt. and make sure you check your fuses also. Unless you are running a ton of accessories and puling a lot of amperage then I would guess alternator. If you are pulling a lot of amperage through lights and other things then you might want to find a higher amperage output alternator.
Just my opinion though.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 AM
bkw
JK Freak

I was thinking what electrical components were up and running and have compiled a list:
CB - I was cursing and chatting away since I was the guinea pig going down first.
All lights and aux lights
Radio - O&A worst of the week, can't miss that!
Navigation - it's always on, perhaps I shouldve turned it off.
Radar detector - it's always on, perhaps I shouldve turned it off.

My buddy right behind me had probably the same amount of electrical draw, if not more since he's got roof lights and did not have any power issues at all.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Things I would look at....

Battery connections if they are loose or corroided,
Check & test Alternator
then check & test battery if there is a dead cell.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see it being related to the incline/decline.(the batteries for your T.V. remote don't die beacause of what channel you're on) I think thats just were it decided to crap out. did it boost fine and its been good ever since???
Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Battery was dead this morning. Dropped her off at the dealership to get a diagnosis done. I'm thinking the battery can't keep a charge.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I thought the battery was so cheap, I replaced it the first week I owned the jeep. If I remember right the factory battery does not have many CCAs.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:14 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Yep, they gave me a new battery, but I havent had a chance to test it out with a 4-lo descent since.

I'm also monitoring my voltage with my scangauge and I'm at a solid 14.x all the time.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace the stock battery, i used a red top but yellow will be fine as well, also check your axulerry wiring, i found a small rub through spot on my positive winch wire.

Quick Reply: 4-lo + 1st Gear Descent = Dead Battery?