Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4 lo and 4 hi banging

Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 lo and 4 hi banging

Can someone explain to me why I get this loud hard banging when i was in 4 lo and 4 hi. I have a jku rubicon and was going up a steep sand hill. Got stuck a few times but ultimately made it. It didn't bang all the time, only when I maybe had the rpm's too high?

Speaking of that, how fast can one go in 4 lo? I read 4 hi was about 45.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you may have been hammering on it a little? Were you getting some wheel hop?
If so, the banging was telling you to air down (if you didn't) and take it easy! That kind of banging can break stuff.

My Rubi 4-lo speed (the max I will go) is more like about 25 mph, but it has a 4.1 T-case. I travel 50-55 often in the winter snow in 4wd-hi, if the snow is even and traffic allows.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-16-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I think I was a little rough. It was really my first time out. I probably had to much weight in it too, 4 adults. I think the wheels hopped now that you mention it. The sound it made didn't sound good so I eased off. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 4 lo and 4 hi banging