Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4x4 on gravel road?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I was just being anal with the new ride.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Pretty much. I've driven 12 miles to work on the street in 4-high..bone dry roads. Just because everyone said things would grenade and all hell would break loose. Hardly noticed any difference in the drive (no u-turns), but he's absolutely fine on gravel.
Gotta love a man who refuses to take anyone's word on stuff. I admire your determination to verify the truth of the claim for yourself.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as putting the JK in 4-hi, is the correct procedure to just shift on the fly while driving on trail, or is it preferred to be stopped when activating?

Also, when getting out of 4-hi and back to 2wd, can you make this change while driving, speed restrictions, need to be at a complete stop?

Thanks...finally preparing to leave the city streets and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Totally fine to shift in and out 4-HI on the fly. Hell, without thinking I shifted OUT of 4-HI at 60mph one time. Jeep hardly seemed to notice.

As a general rule, you shouldn't be in 4WD above 55 mph. If it's bad enough to need 4WD you should probably slow down. And some people will say it can damage your system. That said, I and others have gone over 55 in 4WD without any bad consequences, so who really knows...
Old 06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't be shy about using your 4 Wheel Drive. The equipment is there to use and make your driving (especially off-road) safer. I put it into 4-Hi as soon as I head off road (on the fly) and into 4-Lo as soon as I begin to head up, down or over anything. The last thing you want to find out is - oops, I should of had it in X before I got stuck. Use the equipment you paid good money for. And go slowly.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Pretty much. I've driven 12 miles to work on the street in 4-high..bone dry roads. Just because everyone said things would grenade and all hell would break loose. Hardly noticed any difference in the drive (no u-turns), but he's absolutely fine on gravel.
Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Gotta love a man who refuses to take anyone's word on stuff. I admire your determination to verify the truth of the claim for yourself.
Those who say don't it are really saying don't do it a lot.

Eventually, it will cause problems.

Now and then because of forgetfulness won't hurt anything.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jsmittyund03
On my way up to a hike on the Appalachian Trail this afternoon, I had some steep terrain on a poorly maintained gravel/fire road in the national forest and decided to throw my new Unlimited into 4H to give it a try (unnecessary, but it seemed like a good place to "exercise" it)

Immediately noticed the increased stability of the front end, but also noticed a little chatter around some bends and got nervous for my drivetrain and put it back into 2H.

My question is, on a seemingly low traction surface such as gravel and dirt, is it possible to still have enough traction to cause damage to the drivetrain? It very well could have just been the poor road as it had lots of shallow ruts and I was being extremely aware, but regardless.

Thanks for helping out a new part time 4X4 user.
Hey there...didnt see anyone address the chatter sound you noticed. That could have been the LSD in the back working. Its somewhat of an aweful sound, First time I heard I freaked a little. Have fun out there and be safe!
Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TX2PR2SC
as my dad (a classic CJ owner) once told me about my new JK in 4x4 "If it was around before man, you can use 4x4 on it"
Nice, that's a good comment! Your dad is a smart man.

Quick Reply: 4x4 on gravel road?