Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

6 speed manual rock crawling question

Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 speed manual rock crawling question

This past weekend I had a few stalls while I was crawling over some fairly large rocks going up. My question is this. Most of the time if I take the correct line I can leave it in 1st/2nd and just tap the throttle and crawl right over. When I stalled and restarted I had the damndest time getting back on track due to lurching etc. Whats the trick? I try my hardest not to ride the clutch and think I do a fairly good job at it. Should I put on the ebrake and keep some tension to slow the rig down a little bit? 513 gearing plus the rubi transfer case is pretty "torquey" in 1st gear. 3-4-5-6 gear would not have been enough to get out of the predicament.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When that happens I do the following

Try not to rush things, take your time and feel what your tranny, engine, clutch and jeep are doing.

1. Press Brake pedal
2. Slowly let out clutch until you can feel it start to grip
3. Continue to let out the clutch and take your foot off the brake, let the jeep crawl at idle and give gas as needed only after you are off the clutch.

You have to remember with the rubi tcase the load on the tranny/clutch is minimal if not the same as on a flat level surface in 2hi.

Last edited by Noxian; 11-02-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the rubi, I do not push the clutch in just start in in gear. Remember, it will also start in reverse, in gear. This can be thrilling if you want to go uphill and forget its in reverse.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Super Freak

You should be able to start the jeep in 4lo in gear will holding the brake. This will allow you to ease of the brake and avoid the lurch. That's the way the stock rubis are setup. When you regear things get weird. I've got 5.38s and I can not stop the jeep in 4lo 1st gear. There is to much torque and with the rubi transfer case it doesn't stall. Try a few parking lot/driveway starts (turn the jeep on whe in gear) in 4lo 1st gear with your foot hard on the brake. If things all work out you should be able to use the brake to start rolling with no lurch.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:19 PM
EzK
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Running in 4 low at idle my Jeep refuses to stall. Only when I mess with the gas will it. It will actually pull hard enough to completely over power the brakes.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Weeds
With the rubi, I do not push the clutch in just start in in gear. Remember, it will also start in reverse, in gear. This can be thrilling if you want to go uphill and forget its in reverse.
Not just Rubi.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

i just noticed yesterday as soon as you put your jeep in 4lo the engine also increases idle RPM about 500 to about 900rpm,

I came from a TJ Rubicon 5speed I though it was crazy with 4lo, with the electronic throttle on the JK its even better.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EzK
Running in 4 low at idle my Jeep refuses to stall. Only when I mess with the gas will it. It will actually pull hard enough to completely over power the brakes.
I did a test drive with the 2012 and tried this out in the parking lot of the dealership 4lo in 1st standing in the break it wouldn't stop nor stall. It was the sport not even the Rubi. Only prob is I forgot to let off the break when I pushed the clutch in and Damn near put my wife and sales guy into the windshield...haha. they didn't think it was too funny.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

I had a 2010 rubi 6 speed and now a 2012 jku 6speed rubi. Mine won't start without the clutch in. Also, how do you guys feel about the hill start assist? Cool on the 12, cus you can adjust the settings on the computer from the steering wheel. Rum with it off most of the time. But for Offroad, it seems pretty slick, the couple times I've used it.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teeswenka
I had a 2010 rubi 6 speed and now a 2012 jku 6speed rubi. Mine won't start without the clutch in.
You've got to be in 4-low to start without pressing the clutch in.

Quick Reply: 6 speed manual rock crawling question