Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

After "mudding" maintainence

Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After "mudding" maintainence

What should I do to maintain the jeep after mudding. Not very hardcore just driving through a muddy field. Should I check fluids? Check bolt specs?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U want to clean the mud out of everywhere. I stay away from deep mud as much as possible. It's a pita to clean up from. Just not my thing.
A pressure washer is a great investment! Get a gas one.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Check everything and before you go make sure everything is sealed and x2 on the pressure washer!! It will be your friend for the next week after going muddin
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

It would be a good idea to think about changing your diff fluid. Also check to make sure your breather hoses are actually still attached. Sometimes they get ripped off in heavy mud. Get under there and spray everything down.... And then do it again tomorrow because guaranteed you'll find more mud
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

i usually just spray under the jeep very well and thats about it, other than washing the whole jeep
Old 09-17-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aaronbiffany
What should I do to maintain the jeep after mudding. Not very hardcore just driving through a muddy field. Should I check fluids? Check bolt specs?
Invest in a pressure washer. The sooner you can wash it after mudding the better because there are thousands of places mud can hide in BIG CLUMPS. You may also lose use of your horn. Sometimes it will dry out after a few days and start working. Sometimes it won't ever work again--like mine.

You really don't have to worry about anything else.

I've submerged my JKU and tackled deep mud with no troubles afterwards.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 PM
JK Freak

Don't forget to thoroughly clean radiator fins, don't use a power washer for that, also make sure clumps of mud are not caked on your rims inside and out, this will prevent tire wobbles.
Make sure your breaks work well before goin to traffic, did that once and had to slam on the breaks real hard to avoid a collision.
Do you air down your tires when mudding? Have fun!
Old 09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mudding maintenance is a HUGE pita especially for new jeeps. Electrical problems, fluid changes, breaking stuff off, the stench, mold and mildew, months later you still won't have gotten all the dirt out. Pulleys and belt don't like it, radiators don't like it and i hope you took out all your carpet first. But oh my god it is freaking fun! Its amazing what your jeep can do! Better have a lift, snorkel and decent tires if you're going deep though.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Throw a sprinkler undernearth it afterwards and let if run for a few hours of over night. Helps clean the under carriage.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Run a hose into the frame and let it run a while. You will be amazed at the amount of mud that comes out

Quick Reply: After "mudding" maintainence