Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

After Wheeling Check List??

Old 07-11-2011, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Wheeling Check List??

So I burst my cherry for the first time Off Roading on Sat. I have been searching through the forum but have not really found a post wheeling check list of things to check after going off the paved roads.

I have noticed that things are making different noises now compared to before taking it off the paved roads. I am not sure if the noises are a rock stuck in a skid plate or if something might have gotten dirt in it or even bent (doubtful since it was mostly a gravel road some light off roading on short take offs from the dirt road).

Anyone have a list of things they check afterwards to make sure everything is in good condition or needs lube or things changed?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

first pressure wash everything get any dirt out from underneath it and look for rocks. This was your first time? Start checking some shock bolts, sway bar connections, may have some rocks stuck between your rotors and the guard panel. Check tire pressure, check your air intake box for dirt and anything else that might have gotten sucked up in there. This about sums this up if its a basic trail. You may even wanna check your alignment to see if its still in check. Most of us do a much larger check up BEFORE the ride then take it easy afterwards. If things plan to fail its usually on the trail when its under stress. but again better safe than sorry.

Hope ya had fun.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Add to your list to check/re-torque all lug nuts. Also I go over all the steering components, tie rods, drag link, etc. and re-torque those too. Like it was posted above, I wash my rig myself, no drive thru crap. It gives you a chance to spot things before they have the chance to become catastrophic.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:29 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Look for wood or rocks smashed under the beadlocks inside and out around your tires. Check steering compoinets, and track bars I had a track bar break on the front and I lost the abality to steer.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdk
Look for wood or rocks smashed under the beadlocks inside and out around your tires. Check steering compoinets, and track bars I had a track bar break on the front and I lost the abality to steer.
Most people will realize as track bar has snapped before they ever get home lol. But wise advice none the less.

Just keep your stuff torqued. Keep it cleaned and greased. You will climb under it once its sprayed out and look around at everything trust me if its visible, you will notice something failing.. You will learn to check certain parts on and off the trail. Everything you're concerned with on the trail, be VERY concerned with off the trail.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the input. I will look everything over tonight or tomorrow.

I did notice today that my passenger side running board has moved down at the rear door. I guess someone was slacking that day when they were suppose to tighten those bolts. Guess my 200lb buddy was a little too much for it when he was getting in and out on Sat.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

So, I looked around under the vehicle to look for rocks that could be shaking around (hoping this cures the funny noises), got most of those out from the skid plate under the transfer case and in the little holes in the cross member.

Looks like my fuel tank took a hit from something. It has quite a dent in the skid plate. Is it possible for this to cause a bend in the cross member that supports the transmission/transfer case? The dent started about 8-10 inches behind where the 2 bolts that connect the gas tank skid to the cross member and it looks like it might have caused the member to bend a little bit. Seems like I might be making this up. Couldnt really tell if it was designed that way or if my mind was playing tricks on me. Looked like it was a similar tilt on the other side. Tried finding pictures online and there was only one set of pictures I found where someone had seriously more damage than what I have in close to the same spot and he didnt say anything was wrong.

Anyone else caused their fuel range to be shortened and had any issues?

Quick Reply: After Wheeling Check List??