Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Alternative to a Hi-Lift

Old 03-14-2017, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
...Or am I still missing the point... define 'unstuck'...
I once drove into a big mud hole, about 2' deep of soft mud. It wasn't possible to put an axle jack under the axle to get something under the tires, but the Hi-Lift worked quite well. They can also double as a winch, especially if you need to go out backwards, and only have a front mounted winch
Old 03-14-2017, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 16FW
I once drove into a big mud hole, about 2' deep of soft mud. It wasn't possible to put an axle jack under the axle to get something under the tires, but the Hi-Lift worked quite well. They can also double as a winch, especially if you need to go out backwards, and only have a front mounted winch
Hrm... so a winch would have worked better. As for backwards - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-o...ckward-339080/

Or better yet, don't go wheeling without a buddy.

As for the hi-lift to get something under a tires... perhaps that works with a stock suspension? I've watched two different people try to lift their tire off the ground (off road) with a hi-lift only to discover that their suspension droops more than their hi-lift could lift... one ended up on the highest notch of the hi-lift where it then got stuck.

Use a winch to get out of the situation you describe. Use a buddy to get out of the situation where you can't winch forward (or use the backwards method that Mark shows). Use a jack that lifts unsprung (axle tube) weight to change a tire.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A bottle jack is great for changing a tire but does not have near the utility of the Hi-Lift for other things. It cannot, clamp, it cannot be used as a winch, etc. the bottle jack also requires being able to get the jack under the axle, if you have a tire down in a deep muddy rut that isn't possible but a Hi-Lift attached to the tire can lift it right out.

A bottle jack is just that, a jack. A Hi-Lift is a recovery tool, the uses of which are limited only by the imagination. I carry both, each has a bag full of accessories for different situations. Look at the Bogert line of extensions and lift plates for the bottle jack, they come in a nice tool bag that holds the Jack and the accessories. For the Hi-Lift the Jack-Jaw, Jack-Mate, and Lift-Mate are essential pieces of gear with the Hi-Lift sand/mud base.

https://expeditionportal.com/jack-of-all-trades/

Last edited by kmrtnsn; 03-17-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jedg
Hrm... so a winch would have worked better. As for backwards - https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-o...ckward-339080/

Or better yet, don't go wheeling without a buddy.

As for the hi-lift to get something under a tires... perhaps that works with a stock suspension? I've watched two different people try to lift their tire off the ground (off road) with a hi-lift only to discover that their suspension droops more than their hi-lift could lift... one ended up on the highest notch of the hi-lift where it then got stuck.

Use a winch to get out of the situation you describe. Use a buddy to get out of the situation where you can't winch forward (or use the backwards method that Mark shows). Use a jack that lifts unsprung (axle tube) weight to change a tire.
Ever thought about using a cargo strap or a short length of chain like a limiting strap while frame jacking. It works easy enough.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use a ratcheting strap around the axle housing and back to the frame to limit my suspension travel before I put the hi-lift in place.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Ratchet straps are not designed for that type of load. The common ones you'll find in the store are rated at 250 lbs. It's no wonder these things are called "widow makers".

I've got one and it works fine when used properly- around the farm. It's a great winch but after using it as a winch you'll go buy an electric winch.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased an X-jack a few years back, and my hi-lift hasn't left the garage since.

Quick Reply: Alternative to a Hi-Lift