Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Another Death Wobble Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 03:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my 08 jku, put the TF level on a few weeks ago. Hit some railroad tracks and got DW. Hit some road construction and got DW too. Not sure if it's something I did with the level install. I noticed my steering wheel is no longer dead center also when I'm driving straight, it's now slightly cocked to the right. Does that sound like an alignment issue? I did not get one after install.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Well, as you can see from the above posts, there are a ton of different possibilities as to what it could be. But, being that you just messed around with suspension pieces, I would put my bet on the track bar. I bought the JKS track bar to recenter my axle and my DW went away and it seemed like my '08 got a bad case of DW every time I sneezed.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default update

Alright so... I had my ball joints replaced, tires rotated and balanced, an alignment and I even removed my old double steering stabilizer kit because I heard they can cause more issues then solve... but all to no avail.

Now not only do i get full axel sway at 55-60mph now with my new ball joints i get a very "flighty" sensation that is hard to maintain at highway speeds. I have to constantly correct from left to right like a game of pong. I am at the end of my rope... no one here in town has a clue so I'm driving 45 miles south to a 4x4 shop that does alignments and lifts to see if they can narrow it down for me.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fourstoryfall
Alright so... I had my ball joints replaced, tires rotated and balanced, an alignment and I even removed my old double steering stabilizer kit because I heard they can cause more issues then solve... but all to no avail.

Now not only do i get full axel sway at 55-60mph now with my new ball joints i get a very "flighty" sensation that is hard to maintain at highway speeds. I have to constantly correct from left to right like a game of pong. I am at the end of my rope... no one here in town has a clue so I'm driving 45 miles south to a 4x4 shop that does alignments and lifts to see if they can narrow it down for me.
Drag link?

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

Default new 4x4 shop

SO i brought it into a different 4x4 shop, one that deals with lifted jeeps and does alignments themselves and they told me while they could not get the jeep to go into death wobble they did say my steering box is shot. It sort of makes sense that the steering box is shot, but is it possible this is what was causing the axel swing? It did kind of seem like when i was at highway speeds someone was grabbing the wheel and jerking it back and forth. The real problem I have is before I drop 1000$ to get it replaced, is this the cause or the outcome of death wobble? I would hate to blow out another steering box because I jumped the gun. Is it possible the bad ball joints hid the steering box issue?
Old 05-30-2013, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

I feel your pain bro. I have a company car so I don't drive my jeep daily. I seem to have it in cold weather and after the jeep sits for a while. I did the rotate and balance and that cured it for now but I know it will come back. I just read a thread on the bolts that hold on the track bar being a 14mm but that a 9/16 will fit. That little bit of difference over time will cause the sleeve to oval. Thats the angle Im trying next
Old 05-30-2013, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Try this. No one knows DW better than Planman. If you through it step by step, you'll find your culprit.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 06-01-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have some nasty DW right now anywhere above 35mph...for me it was a trackbar issue - had a TF older style that apparently had bad joints possibly due to a design flaw....from what i've read. I swapped the for the factory one and i'm still getting DW, but it seems better however at this point there may be some deflection and the bolt holes are slightly wallowed.

I did lift mine with TF full 8 arm kit, however I didn't get it aligned since...i'm assuming my Caster is way off. I'm dropping it off at a shop to get some washers and the teraflex gusset welded on to my TB mounts as well as the monster track bar installed with a full alignment from a shop that will mess with the adjustable control arms. I think this is going to fix it...if not then i'm definitely going to be very confused as everything else seems fine per planmans checklist.

BTW, teraflex has been amazing, they shipped me a new TB that day for free no questions asked. Good luck, DW sucks.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lkjk
i have some nasty DW right now anywhere above 35mph...for me it was a trackbar issue - had a TF older style that apparently had bad joints possibly due to a design flaw....from what i've read. I swapped the for the factory one and i'm still getting DW, but it seems better however at this point there may be some deflection and the bolt holes are slightly wallowed.

I did lift mine with TF full 8 arm kit, however I didn't get it aligned since...i'm assuming my Caster is way off. I'm dropping it off at a shop to get some washers and the teraflex gusset welded on to my TB mounts as well as the monster track bar installed with a full alignment from a shop that will mess with the adjustable control arms. I think this is going to fix it...if not then i'm definitely going to be very confused as everything else seems fine per planmans checklist.

BTW, teraflex has been amazing, they shipped me a new TB that day for free no questions asked. Good luck, DW sucks.
I hope you find the fix but I don't see how the track bar can be the culprit. If you watch the actual wobbling of the wheels/tires, you can see that it's just the wheels/tires that are pivoting on the ball joints, not the whole axle shifting side to side. The track bar holes being oblong can cause clunk but not the wobble. It seems that a lot I have death wobble at about 45-55 mph and had my son drive my jeep and I drove in another car directly in front of him. I was able to watch the wobble start and noticed that the axle was completely stable, only the wheels/tires were shaking.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Death wobble is actually the axle shifting from side to side, and then your tires going crazy while it happens...but yea, it doesn't look like that at all since the axle is moving barely at all compared to the wheels.

OP - check out the edge automotive in englewood (denver) since you're close. they are amazing and fixed mine up right away. new track bar, new SS, alignment and it was good to go - I'm thinking the trackbar and alignment are what really solved it...my new trackbar was just swapping from rancho to OME anyway, not a big diff.

Quick Reply: Another Death Wobble Thread