Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Any advice for a first trail run?

Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, i'm in selma nc
Old 09-16-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great advice so far!
My advice to new wheelers is to let the low range work for you and go easy on the throttle when climbing. Slow and easy. If you can't climb something, back down and adjust your line a little and try again. Too much throttle and parts start breaking.
Of course mud is just a different story

Also get familiar with the turning radius of the Jeep and where your bumpers are in relation to obstacles.
This is especially helpful for tight trails and woods.

Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2008, 10:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Cant wait to see them..
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

I found that with the longer wheel base of the 4-doors you often need to drive the front and place the rear. In other words, steer around obstacles with your front tire and place your rear tire on them.
Old 09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by MaloCS
The biggest advice you can adhere to is to go with an experienced off roader for your first time out. Please try and find someone in your area that's willing to show you the ins and outs of off road driving, it will make your experience better and minimize the risk of you getting into an unmanageable situation.

Good luck.

I would have to TOTALLY! agree there. You can read books, and forums. But going out with someone who knows what they are doing will be the best benefit by far
Old 09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when someone asks are you in low they mean the #1 on your shifter.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thumbs up Starting out on the trail

Go with a group you think you can learn from first, and you feel they will also help you, if in need.
Like everyone said slow... And also pick your battles wisely...
Meaning just consider what might happen in a worst case scenario, and think if tackling that particular spot is really what you want to do first...
Especially when you are starting out... Again as mentioned earlier, you can never have enough spotters in a "tight situation" ...
Don't be too proud to verbally ask someone who you think is best to help spot you.
It can save you "possibly" from thousands of dollars of body damage.

Oh, one last item, get a CB if you don't already have one...

"Again baby steps, and make it enjoyable for you and the Jeep.
The relationship will last a lot longer and happier too..."
Enjoy.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MaloCS
The biggest advice you can adhere to is to go with an experienced off roader for your first time out. Please try and find someone in your area that's willing to show you the ins and outs of off road driving, it will make your experience better and minimize the risk of you getting into an unmanageable situation.

Good luck.
I will agree with this statement as much as anything. Also, know where your pumpkin is at (front and rear) and try to track obstacles with your tires such that your axle is not in jeopardy.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

In total agreence with everybody else, take it slow and steady and go with a fellow jeeper (or some other 4wd that can handle it...no not a KIA AWD crossover), but also you kinda have to change your state of mind. You just spent 30K+ on a vehicle that you might or might not scratch (or god forbid worse). The biggest advise I can tell ya is don't sweat the small stuff. We all like to have nice looking jeeps and take care of them, but it's going to get it's battle scars. The way I look at it, it's past trails that I now have a gentle reminder of. The first day I had my JK i took it on a small run on my property and when I got back I had a scratch from front fender to the tail light. Not sayin go out and destroy your new ride, just know that something could happen on the trail. Think of the small scratches as pin strips :P. Other then that good luck, and get some good pics, and welcome to the world of awesome jeeps and empty wallets.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

buy yourself some decent recovery gear.... On top of that I usually carry a good GPS and compass along with a knife, blanket, lighter, and other various survival gear. You never know. Water is a must also

Quick Reply: Any advice for a first trail run?