Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

ATV hitch haul for trail use

Old 11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV hitch haul for trail use

Ok guys, how long you think this thing is gonna last on the trail? It's got about a 6" rise to it so it's got improved clearance over the run of the mill hitch-hauls. The tailgate does open about 1/2 way with it unloaded. I thought that was nice. Of course one tire size bigger and that wont happen anymore. Another advantage I see is that it's also not nearly as wide nor deep as the ones made for trucks. Most of those I've found are around 20"X60" and this one is 18"X38".

It was pretty cheap so I figure if it doesn't work out I have an idea of what I can do with the basket itself. I have a very simple, sturdy, receiver bike rack made of 2" heavy gauge square tubing. If properly gusseted I could weld this basket onto the top of the rack frame and it should be able to handle at least 150lbs and it would ride about mid-spare high. Great place to tote a hi-lift, or gerry cans.

Anyhow, I figured either way it's a great way to tote firewood, fuel, the quick-shade or a cooler. Advertised weight capacity is 300lbs.

So back to the original question. Anyone else run one of these things on a regular basis? Horrible stories? Great things? Bring it on.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Freak

no takers?
Old 11-06-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

That will seriously limit your hill climbing. I have seen people get hung up when they forgot to remove their hitch.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

Well I'm am in flat Florida

I've seen some hills out that way but I'll give it a shot this weekend in the panhandle. Worse case~ I rip it off, tote it home and mod up a safari rack!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be OK on dirt trails, but anything more than a ditch & you will probably bend it.

Bigger tires & a lift will help!
Old 11-11-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SONIC
Yeah a nogo for any offroading.
You will have no departure angle with that thing sticking out so far.

but they are great for trips!
me too on this one, great for trips or moving things around, not for heavy off road.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Scottrock, Did you end up getting it?

Quick Reply: ATV hitch haul for trail use