Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Beach Tips

Old 05-17-2016, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rubi-josh
Did you go to Go Topless Day 2016 in Galveston per chance?
I wish we had, didn't realize we missed it until this morning. I did go topless all weekend however, even put my jeep to work!
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160515_145459.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	647388
Old 05-17-2016, 09:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the sand is soft I would air down. 15psi is safe. With your tires aired down you can stop and takeoff when ever you want to. If they are not aired down starting off in soft stuff especially on an incline can be tough.
Do: keep momentum
Do: keep momentum in ruts when switching ruts "lanes"
Dont: drive in the salt water, it will destroy your jeep.
If you keep your doors on DONT roll the windows up and down. the sand will scratch the glass horribly!
Don't: keep the doors on.
Stay in 4hi, put the jeep in 4hi before you get on the sand.
Stay away from wild horse's "if there are wild horse's "
Pull out stuck trucks for beer money.
Wash the jeep as soon as possible.
Sorry I was writing this in a hurry , have fun!
Old 09-08-2016, 05:25 AM
JK Newbie

Seems to be a lot of conflicting information and opinions about 4L vs. 4H.
Here is my 2 cents on the topic. This really depends on the type of sand. In my experience, in loose sand it is best to stay in 4L. If you are on hard pack, no problem with 4H. Loose sand creates a lot of resistance and increases workload. I am preparing for a week vacation in a house on the beach 8 miles away from any paved road. Since we will have 8 miles of mostly soft sand to travel, I plan on staying in 4L to keep workload and heat generated to a minimum. What do you guys think?
Old 09-08-2016, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. There seems to be a lot of opinions on either side here so like above here is just my 2 cents.

Please let us know where you are going as it might help people familiar with the area give you better specific recommendations. You say you are a first time owner so I will come at you from that perspective. First go where there are others. If you get in a situation help should be close by. Most likely you should air down. Follow the ruts. If others drove there already, you're probably going to be ok too. Plus it follows the tread lightly thought. I have just about always driven sand in 4hi. IMO as a novice, if you don't have good light throttle control, 4lo might get you to spin the tires quicker. Then a natural panic reaction might cause you to throw in reverse and dig you deeper figuratively and literally. Keep a light steady throttle.

And lastly as it wasn't mentioned, know where your closest air station is if you don't have onboard air. Most popular places have them near entrances/exits. Also have some recovery gear just in case. A Google search can help you with some basic recommendations.

Have fun.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

In soft sand you really need to float on top. You NEED speed. So 4hi is what you want. If your jeep is not geared correctly for you tires or modification's then you may have a problem with overheating on the beach. And if that's the case going faster and staying on top of this and is even more important. Speed also helps with airflow and cooling.
I would drive about as fast as you can legally drive on a beach with soft sand.
My experience with sand: I grew up driving on the beaches of Outer Banks North Carolina. There is every type of sand imaginable on the Outer Banks. And lots of super soft fluffy sand that is very very difficult to drive in.
Oregon Inlet OBX is one of the most dangerous places I've ever seen to drive on the sand. When the tide goes out many tourist find themselves in a very dangerous position stuck in sand with a rising tide. I can't tell you how many hours and days I've spent rescuing stuck vehicles from the rising tide. I've probably seen 20+ vehicles lost to the ocean. Rescuing vehicles is what we did for fun and I really enjoyed helping the people out as well.
So for what it's worth 4hi if possible
Have fun and stay away from sand that is uasaly under water at high tide, it is very unstable.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Terrible
In soft sand you really need to float on top. You NEED speed. So 4hi is what you want. If your jeep is not geared correctly for you tires or modification's then you may have a problem with overheating on the beach. And if that's the case going faster and staying on top of this and is even more important. Speed also helps with airflow and cooling.
I would drive about as fast as you can legally drive on a beach with soft sand.
My experience with sand: I grew up driving on the beaches of Outer Banks North Carolina. There is every type of sand imaginable on the Outer Banks. And lots of super soft fluffy sand that is very very difficult to drive in.
Oregon Inlet OBX is one of the most dangerous places I've ever seen to drive on the sand. When the tide goes out many tourist find themselves in a very dangerous position stuck in sand with a rising tide. I can't tell you how many hours and days I've spent rescuing stuck vehicles from the rising tide. I've probably seen 20+ vehicles lost to the ocean. Rescuing vehicles is what we did for fun and I really enjoyed helping the people out as well.
So for what it's worth 4hi if possible
Have fun and stay away from sand that is uasaly under water at high tide, it is very unstable.
Headed to Corolla next week!!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by psujeepguy
I'll be there! I'll have to post a pic of my jeep so you can look for me. You could drive a Buick on the beaches of Corolla. Lol
Old 09-08-2016, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Terrible
You could drive a Buick on the beaches of Corolla. Lol

Lol and I'm sure someone has pics of an idiot who tried to prove it! Corolla is beautiful and the beaches were great. I watched a lot of dangerous moves, choices from people on my last trip down there but only saw one truck completely buried (F250). Air down and have fun!
Old 09-08-2016, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by psujeepguy
OK I have no idea how to post a picture of my jeep. But I'll be staying in Corolla all next week from Sunday to Sunday.
Look at the description of my Jeep in my signature, I have a Terraflex Nebo roof rack with Yakima racks on top of them. Not easy to miss and I've never seen anyone else with this setup so I should be easy to spot. I can help you out with your first run on the beach if you like. Just hit me up on here when your down there.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by d. gage
Lol and I'm sure someone has pics of an idiot who tried to prove it! Corolla is beautiful and the beaches were great. I watched a lot of dangerous moves, choices from people on my last trip down there but only saw one truck completely buried (F250). Air down and have fun!
No pictures but I have pulled cars off that beach before. Lol
A Google search will show you plenty of stuck cars in Corolla.
Google search stuck trucks in Oregon Inlet and you will see some scary stuff. I've seen a truck with a camper lost to the ocean as well there.

Quick Reply: Beach Tips