Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Best way to stretch a new winch

Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Finnster
So let me get this right....... Oil up my sister-in-law and tie
her to a telephone pole....then put my mother-in-law under my
jeep to simulate a parking brake......winch both of them through
the fairlead, uninstall the cable and sink the evidence in a lake and
replace with a synthetic cable. Perfect!

BTW, what synthetic cable do you recommend? Are they all
pretty much the same?
Almost - don't for get to winch them both up a slight incline, then trough the fairlead. Other than that, check Winchline.com. Lots of good info.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JKDoc;1207169]Fully extend the cable and then remove. Replace with synthetic line. Wind back in under tension of pulling the Jeep up a slight slope. Best $100 upgrade you can make.

Where is this $100 synthetic line at. I would like to get that!!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Finnster and JKDoc. I learned something new today. I guess i missed that part about streaching the cable.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:27 AM
JK Newbie

I pulled my buddy and his 92 Jeep out of a water hole the day after my winch was installed. I figured this was as good as any to set / stretch the cable.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been setting the winch on a 30yd dumpster..

put the JK in 4lo and reverse, then drag it to the dumpster.. works for me.

one day, when the cable is worn, I will switch to synthetic.. til then, steel it is.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Default -

After using steel cable for winching for 15 years, I wasnt too crazy about the thought of synthetic....until I saw it in real life and talked to people that used it at the Jamboree- I agree with JKDoc...its the way to go.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKDoc
I guess the $100 was for my synthetic winch extension line. See, the stuff is so good you forget what it costs after a while.

My steel cable is nicely coiled and hanging in the garage next to the fairlead that has not been used either. I replaced the cable with synthetic line before I finished installing my winch which is a Mile Marker hydraulic 12,500 lb. winch. Slow but steady. Never gets hot, never draws down the battery, never gives up (unless the engine or power steering pump fail).
^ x2 on my steel cable. Once I bolted down my HD Powerplant to the bumper, I replaced my cable with Synthetic.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKDoc
Fully extend the cable and then remove. Replace with synthetic line. Wind back in under tension of pulling the Jeep up a slight slope. Best $100 upgrade you can make.

However, if that is not in the picture, fully extend the cable except for a few (5-6) wraps on the drum. While the cable is extended and not under a lot of tension, apply a light coating of light oil to the entire cable. Allow it to penetrate the cable. Then apply tension by pulling against the emergency brake or pulling up a slight grade. You should see oil squeezing out of the cable strands as tension is applied. This lubricates the individual strands and allows them to slide against each other protecting the small cable strands. Wipe off excess oil as it nears the fairlead. Wear gloves and be prepared to stop the winch if your glove or wrag snags a cable strand. The winch will easily pull your hand through the fairlead. Do the wiping far enough away from the fairlead that you can stop the winch before your hand gets there. Alternatively, forget the wiping as you reel in and wipe the excess from the winch plate and fairlead when you are done.
Great response, there's a lot of people new to wheeling and this is the kind of information they should be getting.

Originally Posted by Finnster
So let me get this right....... Oil up my sister-in-law and tie
her to a telephone pole....then put my mother-in-law under my
jeep to simulate a parking brake......winch both of them through
the fairlead, uninstall the cable and sink the evidence in a lake and
replace with a synthetic cable. Perfect!

BTW, what synthetic cable do you recommend? Are they all
pretty much the same?
I can't stop laughing.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:44 PM
JK Super Freak

i bought the new SB synth line from 4WD and it workx fine for far, only paid 240 to with military discount,
Old 08-02-2009, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

OK, do all the work on my JEEP. I have ZERO winch experience, just installed my XRC-10 on an LoD stubby. To stretch the cable I hooked up my my friends F-150 on a very slight grade and just winched to the truck. I had someone resist by holding on the brakes. I made sure it wound up properly. However, I did not use any oil on the cable at all. Is this something that most people do? I mean I understand the concept fully...I just can't decide if it's for sure worth doing. It seems to me like even wiping it the oil will just attract dirt/sand. Also, if it is the thing to do...what kind of oil specifically?

Quick Reply: Best way to stretch a new winch