Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Camber of by 2 to 2.5 degrees, would you drive it?

Old 09-06-2014, 10:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Camber of by 2 to 2.5 degrees, would you drive it?

My camber is of due to a bent housing or bevy C, both sides are about the same. I'm seeing around -2 to -2.5 degrees on each wheel.

Will this cause stress on the axle shaft inner end at the differential? Will it eat my tires? Is there an argument to made that it's still fine to drive?

I have a new housing that is going to get in it within a few weeks, I'm waiting on parts and waiting to get the truss welded in place, then do the internals swap and get them swapped.

I've not driven the jeep in a couple weeks since this happened, but an I really helping myself?

Old 09-06-2014, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

Nobody has any opinions or case history on a situation like this?
Old 09-06-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

If it drives and handles OK, -2 degrees wouldn't keep me from driving. The axle splines allow for some angular misalignment. Tires may a wear a little uneven eventually.

That protractor looks like a carpentry tool -- Thinking about the accuracy of it. How are you holding it to get a reading?

Last edited by Mr.T; 09-06-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Measuring camber is pretty tricky and it takes some specialty tools to know you've got the right reading. They do come with some camber from the factory... so I'm not really sure how much yours have moved.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mr.T
If it drives and handles OK, -2 degrees wouldn't keep me from driving. The axle splines allow for some angular misalignment. Tires may a wear a little uneven eventually.

That protractor looks like a carpentry tool -- Thinking about the accuracy of it. How are you holding it to get a reading?

[emoji481]
We use them at work for power plant steam pipe placement as well as more accurate laser transits. They are pretty decent to keep within a half degree with the dial protractor.

Quick Reply: Camber of by 2 to 2.5 degrees, would you drive it?