Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Clutch and water crossing

Old 02-10-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by akonius
Tell ya what guys, I did some wheeling this weekend and had this thread on my mind as I approached a swampy bog. Well, with all the info swimmin in my head...I just went for it in 2nd LOW...too fast! After the shock of water being deeper than I thought, then I fell into a hole and I popped outta gear!! Crap! So, w/out thinking, I rammed it into 1st LOW and grunted out of the bog.

SO, I hope I didn't get anything into my clutch assembly but the moral of the story is, take it easy, slow and steady and go in the gear you want to come out in...BUT, if the crap hits the fan - you CAN shift in there...you just have to hope you don't suck stuff up. I seemed to fare alright this time around!
It is my understanding that the best way to handle such an issue is to kill the engine (just like if it stalled out) put er in first gear (no clutch) and start er up (no clutch). Someone deny or confirm please?

I know JK was built to start in 4 lo on a manual without clutching (ive done it). Perhaps for this reason?

On another note, I have been scared to death of this very thing as well. Before any crossing I always stop, pick Lo and pick gear and cross. I also keep my hand on the shifter to keep it in place. There have been a couple time even out of water when the gear got kicked out, and I was facing downhill. Scary.

I have some water crossing vids at the end of page 6 here.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ost-em-!/page6

Last edited by JKChandler; 02-10-2011 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch and water crossing