Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Driving techniques and mods in High Elevation off roading ??

Old 02-11-2013, 10:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving techniques and mods in High Elevation off roading ??

Here is the thing, im planning a visit to a the third highest mountain in North America called Pico de Orizaba in Mexico more info here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pico_de_Orizaba

At that altitude the oxygen concentration that it is a ban on smoking and the health recommendations are to move and walk very slowly to avoid light head dizziness, not only humans and animals are affected in such conditions but also our beloved jeeps.

The current 4x4 vehicle record climbing that mountain is around 4,400 meters / 14,500 feet above sea level, in the final slope with mostly loose sand and gravel and no winching point. You are allowed to use ramps, anchors etc but the real problem is to keep the engine pumping enough power. This record is currently hold by a CJ5 and the myths that it required to tune the carburettor on the spot to get a healthier mix and all other JKs, TJs, KJs are 100m/330 feet behind the record.

Since we are ina JK forum I ask your help and advice on how should I prepare my JK and what techniques I must apply to get try to beat to the record.

Some ideas
  • settings to use with a programer
  • should i drive the last mile in 4L or 4H
  • should i deflate the tires all the way down to 10lbs or keep it in the 20s ?
  • My JK is Auto, should i drive in D, 2 or 1 ?
  • what else comes to your mind ??

here a video of the last mile, first the cj5 holding the record for reference watch the big stone at the beginning of the CJ5 video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zshcqs3XgEw
then a JKU trying it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_SmnHCW6xA
Old 02-12-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

45 views but no replies, I m starting to believe most of you guys are beach lovers
Old 02-12-2013, 07:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Right tires and right air pressure? They seem to be digging down a lot. Maybe need air pressure like driving in a beach.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Freak

Highest I've had my jeep is 12000 plus. No issues up to that point, however the jeep did need to do its learning thing with the computer--needed to get acclimated.

On soft stuff like that I would air down to 10lbs. You will need to keep momentum as best you can. It doesn't look particularly steep in the video--keeping speed will be improtant. To keep speed you need a suspension that can suck up the bumps. 4lo could be a problem--you would probably have to run at high RPM for a long time, 4hi might not have enough power although wheel speed should be ok. When going up loose stuff that is steep I run fast in 4HI. I also run rear locked.

I also would bring my programmer. There are some things on the fuel side you might be able to do too---like add an oxygenate (MTBE or ETBE).

Anyway those are some ideas. Good luck with it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

the best thing would be a super charger ot turbo, the air is thin so anything to "stuff" the cylinders.

I also live at altitude, my house is at 9210' and the pass the I go over to get to Denver is 11307', I have also had my Jeep at the top of Mount Evans which is "Mount Evans is the road into the sky. Drive from 8,700 feet at Idaho Spring where you turn off Interstate 70 to 14,240 feet to the summit, and you will pass through 3 life zones, passing ancient trees, lakes and forest to the land above timberline. It can be 90 degrees in Denver and 40 degrees at the top of Mount Evans. Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep will greet you as you climb to the top of the world. [Google Latitude & Longitude (39.6567121, -105.59623)] "

The JK runs but power is WAY down.

Have fun
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

How serious are you about breaking the record?

http://www.zonepowertrack.com/index_en.html

Might give you enough to float on sand.

Otherwise like others have said, forced induction, locked rear, chains, wide wide tires, etc.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From my experience wheeling at altitude in Ca. in stuff like that texture you will need lockers front and rear. You also want to be aired down between 5-10psi. Normally you would not be that low for running trails but for just doing a climb in that kind of stuff that is what you will need. I have seen jeeps climb in stuff like that with the tires just turning slowly and moving upwards at about a foot or so per minute. Our rule was always as long as you were moving forward no matter how slow it might be you were allowed to keep at it.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Newbie

Can't help with the vehicle, but consider something like Diamox before you ascend to if you won't have time to acclimate.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Let me start by saying that I am sure (at least hope) that you have thought about this stuff and I am by no means trying to be a jerk by bringging this stuff up,

Good point about "man vs. machine". You will also have to consider your health into this attempt. High altitude is VERY risky if your body is not acclimated to it. (Yes death is a very real possibility when you burst a blood vessel in your lungs or brain)

Quote"Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS)
When traveling above 2500m (8,200ft), the effects of altitude may begin to take their toll on the human body. As the body notices that it is receiving less and less oxygen, it attempts to habituate by increasing the amount of blood flow to the brain. If it overcompensates, however, and there is too much blood flow to the brain, a process begins causing the brain to swell. The progression of this problem can result in several symptoms:

•Headache

•Exhaustion

•Shortness of breath

•Nausea or vomiting

As with any altitude-related problem the best treatment is immediate descent. Since aerobic fitness seems to have little correlation to AMS, proper acclimatization should alleviate most problems with AMS in the majority of people. As always, your doctor can provide you with much more information regarding this disorder.High Altitude Cerebral Edema (HACE)
If the previously mentioned brain swelling progresses to higher levels, an incredibly dangerous condition, known as high altitude cerebral edema (HACE), can ensue. This problem usually does not happen below 3050m (10,000ft), and similarly to AMS, can be prevented through proper acclimatization processes. Symptoms of HACE include:

•Profoundly inhibited mental function

•Hallucinations

•Loss of muscle coordination

•Impaired speech

•Severe headache

•Nausea or vomiting

•Coma

This deadly condition can only be treated by immediate, rapid descent or by the use of a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Your doctor can perform test on you to see how well your particular physiology responds to hypoxic conditions (lack of oxygen), so this would be advisable before any trips to the mountains. If you or anyone exhibit any signs of HACE at anytime, the best idea is to play it safe and descend to a much lower altitude. The mountains will be there next year, so make sure you will too.High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE)
This conditions is one of the biggest killers when people venture into the higher altitudes. Another method that the body uses in attempts to get more oxygen, is to divert more bloodflow to the lungs. As with the brain, fluid build-up is at the root of the problem, and as a result can cause flu-like symptoms that will progress to death if left unattended. Climbers and others traveling to high altitudes should be watching for this condition anywhere above 2500m (8,200ft).

•Extreme difficulty breathing

•Very rapid breating rate

•Exhaustion

•Lack of motivation

•Pale complexion

•Constant coughing

•Gurgling sounds coming from chest

Not to sound like a broken record, but acclimatization is again key in preventing HAPE. Always be sure to include enough rest time, as over-exertion multiplies the likelihood that this condition will strike. After the onset of symptoms, death can ensue extremely rapidly, so immediate descent is vital.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Newbie

^^ helpful advice. My wife and I regularly lead tours to Peru. There have been a couple of times when folks have skipped the acclimation part of the trip and gone straight to Cusco (~11k feet) and have had to go on O2 to avoid hospitalization.

BTW, they have some great off roading.

Quick Reply: Driving techniques and mods in High Elevation off roading ??