Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Emergency Welding using 2 batteries - which way to connect ?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
Hi, JK, i see you're in Westchester County as,... any chance I can come by and watch when you set this up?
If you're a paramedic - certainly !!

I need to get the welding supplier in Tuckahoe, will definately PM you when do.....two crazies together
Old 03-05-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
Redneck, I appreicate the warning ! Will take it seriously but still gonna try this. Could place a plywood sheet or similar non-conductive cover over the batteries to contain an accident, even if it would be marginal.

I still need to get the 6011 & 6013 rods
I hear you. ...and make no mistake, if I was in a have to situation, I'd frikkin do it. But it would have to be HAVE TO BE with NO other options, know what I mean Vern?
Old 03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by westchester
If you're a paramedic - certainly !!

I need to get the welding supplier in Tuckahoe, will definately PM you when do.....two crazies together
No tractor supply locally? They'd have a bunch of different sticks. 1lb of 6011 3/32" or 1/8" goes for $7-9. I'd recommend trying 2 sizes of 6011 and 7018. That will give you the feel for different sizes and types of sticks.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nytennisaddict
thx for the site.
checked out the ready welder... seems to be cables + gun + spool and heavy duty on/off switch (gun trigger) - but you'll still need to connect 2-3 batteries in serial. definitely seems safer than working with an "always" on live wire.
Understand that SMAW(stick) is always on when the power switch is on and you scratch start(like a match)to get underway welding. Unless you use a pedal. I've never seen anyone stick weld with a pedal setup. The ready weld is a mig setup.

Quick Reply: Emergency Welding using 2 batteries - which way to connect ?