Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

First Trail Ride

Old 06-10-2009, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Trail Ride

OK I am heading out this weekend....easy trail but there is some rock crawling involved and a few good obstacles. The guys I will be with are very confident my Sahara will make it stock but I am concerned about the running boards since they hang a little lower then the body. Should I be? Are they easy to take on and off?
Old 06-10-2009, 08:12 AM
JK Super Freak

dont know what the trail is like, but if you dont want to wreck them your best best it to take them off....but then that also exposes the body to a bit more damage depending on the trail.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Freak

Rocker protection is very important..I would leave em on....trash em and buy a set of good rocker guards if you plan on wheeling..there is usually someone selling some factory rubicon rails in the for sale section. the sahara steps will act more like padding for your rocker panels in case of a good hit..one good hit and there trashed but they may save the rocker panel from being damaged. have fun on your first ride
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep em on, trash em, find a brand new set in the for-sale section for WAY cheap.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the advice...I want to switch them out anyway so that makes sense. I will let you know how I do! The trail is rated level one with our group....just a few easy obsticles so Im not that worried, been up it shotty seat so I know what to expect...just didnt know if they would hang me up or not. Like I said..first time here so just a tad bit nervous! LOL
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Junkie

how careful... very careful... see picture

the good news is that they are really brittle and will fracture versus rolling up or bending the side of the jeep... unlike my tube steps

they are easy to take off and very light weight... just dump them in the garage. pick up a set of rubi sliders for cheap on craigslist or the for sale forum.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 07JKX

I want to hear the story behind that. Looks like you broke those on something besides rocks
Old 06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, story plz.

Ive noticed these things seem pretty robust, based off standing on them. Im guessing trying to support the jeep on them would be too much...
Old 06-11-2009, 11:13 AM
JK Junkie

that was a fellow JK'er i bent my pinch seam in because i had my rugged ridge tube steps...

but not, that was just a rock, same one that I slid into coming up a rocky trail
Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are short on funds, buy some rubi rock rails, mine have held up good when the sahara steps got bashed. My stock rails are scratched but no body damage.

Quick Reply: First Trail Ride