Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Getting started

Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting started

Getting started.

I have been reading this forum a lot - it has been really helpful!!!

I bought a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited a month or so ago. This is my first Jeep and first 4x4. I almost immediately took an offroad class - it was scary and quite educational. We did not do anything extreme - but based on what we did I am amazed at how capable the Jeep is!

I am planning on using the Jeep mainly to get where I need to - not planning to do anything extreme, at least not for a while. Given that I am new I intend to take small steps. The only thing I have done so far equipment/mod is to get Quadratec floor mats. Did not like dragging sand & stuff onto the factory mats.

I have a long list of things to get and learn, however have to start somewhere. My first step is going to be to get offroad tire stuff and a recovery strap. Here is the list of things I plan to buy - cost is approximate haven't gotten around to searching best price yet. Appreciate any comments & suggestions.
I don't know how to add tables on posts - don't think html is enabled. Hence the strange formating - if anyone knows a better way please let me know.

1. Tire deflator
I saw the importance of airing down the tires for offroad driving in the class. For now I am inclined to buy non-installed deflator and short listed the ones I like:
Name------------Cost-----Description
SmittyBilt--------40-------Similar to Staun
Trailhead--------60-------5:51 min to deflate.* Can drive while deflating. Need wrench to adjust
Staun------------60-------6:53 min to deflate.* Stationary application. No tools needed.

I used the Trailhead deflators in the class and really liked them, so I am leaning toward those.

I found good comparion and information from the following sites:
parksoffroad.com/prodreview/deflatortest/deflatormain.htm[/url] (* source of deflation time)
jpmagazine.com/techarticles/trail/154_0809_10_tire_deflators/index.html[/url]

2. Air compressor
I read about CO2 system and York belt driven system and installed on board air compressor. To begin with I am thinking of getting a portable air compressor.

I see there a lot of options and tried to find some comparions. I know I want something that connects to the car battery and can handle 32'' tires.

Looking at the specs I decided to ignore duty cycle (the ones below can fill all 4 tires before needing to be turned off), working PSI (~35 PSI is well within their limit), length of battery cable & hose (all of them can reach all tires), working temperature range.

Here is the list sorted by price - I ignored anything more expensive:
Name----------------Cost----Amps-----Weight-------Perf
MV50-----------------50---------30-----10.25---------33'' tire, 10-35 in 4 min
Dually SmittyBilt----140--------------------------------35'' tire, 10-35 psi in 2.5 min
Viair 300P-----------170--------27-----8.5------------33'' Tire, 0-30 psi in 5 min, 15-30 in 2:45 min
Viair 400P-----------220--------26-----8.5------------33'' Tire, 0-30 psi in 4 min, 15-30 in 2 min
Warn SPC-----------220
Viair 450-A----------290--------19-----13-------------33'' Tire, 0-30 psi in 5:30 min, 15-30 in 2:50 min
Viair 440P-----------300--------38-----14-------------35'' Tire, 0-30 psi in 4:15 min, 15-30 in 2:15 min
ARB CKMP12--------302--------23-----14.5-----------33'' tire 10-35 psi in 5:39 min
QuickAir X 1500----380--------20------8--------------2.5 Gallon, 0-100 in 2.5 min
QuickAir X 2000----410--------22------10-------------5 Gallon, 0-200 in 11 min

I couldn't find all the numbers I wanted especially performance numbers. The numbers I found I don't know how much to trust. For the performance as you can see it is not an apples to apples comparison. I did get a good (somewhat dated) comparison study at:
parksoffroad.com/prodreview/inflatortest/inflatormain.htm[/url]

I am thinking of buying the MV50. It is cheap and I know I will get what I pay for. I am rationalizing that it will be a good start that I can outgrow when needed.

3. Tire repair kit
I want to able to deal with punctures on the trail. I found 3 kits I liked:

Name------------Cost---Description
Rugged ridge----35----2 reamers & needles, 25 plugs, NO valve stuff
ARB speedy------36----Insertion needle, reamer, lubricant, valve core tool, 4 stems & caps, 30 plugs
Off road-----------37----Insertion, probe, lube, 30 plugs, instructions NO valve stuff

I was impressed by the Off road kit. However I think I will get the ARB kit - I like the overall package better with the valve core tool and such.

4. Recovery strap
I know many like the ARB snatch strap. I am however leaning towards getting a Keeper 2'' X 30' strap for around $35. It has a working load of 10,000 lb and break load of 20,000 lb. I may later get more stuff including a 2'' X 20' strap.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Last edited by mkjeep; 10-05-2009 at 08:22 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky's
Old 10-05-2009, 08:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good for you
Old 10-05-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get wheelin already
Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
JK Freak

Welcome! sounds like you have a good starting plan. Just remember to post up any mods. Happy wheelin.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:18 AM
Red
JK Enthusiast

Nice list and research.

Let me try and save you a few bucks. The tire deflators are nice to have, but a tire pressure gauge for $1.00 and a few extra minutes of time does the same. Use the time to smoke a cigarette, finish off your coffee, let the kids take care of business before hitting the trail, etc.

The tire repair kit is definately good to have, as is the air compressor, but I always found it is easier to carefully drive to the next filling station to air back up. A cheap compressor that connects to the lighter is more or less for emergencies - I always became frustrated with them for more than that. A real onboard air or CO2 setup is the way to go.

Definately need at least one recovery strap, and get 1 or 2 d rings to go with it.

And, like I tell everyone that is starting, don't run out an buy a bunch of stuff. Start out basic, i.e. a tow strap. The guys you wheel with know you are new (oh yeah, don't wheel alone), and will help you out with the things you need and don't have, also remember this 20 years from now looking at the underequiped new guy who is stuck. As you get some seat time, you will discover what you need and what you can do without. Let experience guide you in your purchases.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Getting started

Nice list PainterMan. I am new also. I'm in So. Ca and would like to attend an off road class like you did. I am in the Victorville area if you or anyone know of any.
Thanks.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:20 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

desertdust the guy I took class from is Tom Severin. For you it should not be too far to Hungry Valley - where he offers some classes.
I certainly recommend Tom. His teaching style is to stop before each exercise and explain the challenge & technique to use. I took his Getting Started class and it did get me started.
His web site is 4x4training.com. Happy jeeping!
Old 10-06-2009, 08:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget a CB radio. Took me awhile to get one and it was frustrating not having one. Especially when you're new, folks you're wheeling with can tell you what to watch out for, avoid, etc. I got a handheld from e-bay. Not excellent but good enough.

Welcome aboard!
Old 10-07-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Default getting started

Thanks PainterMan
I am going to sign up for the class.

desertdust
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Real happy I could help desertdust
After the class - post & let me know how it went!

Quick Reply: Getting started