Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

How to dsconnect sways

Old 03-28-2013, 05:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to dsconnect sways

Can anyone explain I me exactly how to do this? I want to make sure I do it right before messing something up, want to do it before I off road this weekend
Old 03-28-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Cwyatt11
Can anyone explain I me exactly how to do this? I want to make sure I do it right before messing something up, want to do it before I off road this weekend
Just unbolt the links from the axle with a 19 mm and zip tie them out of the way
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LikeMike850
Just unbolt the links from the axle with a 19 mm and zip tie them out of the way
I thought it was an 18mm?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's what I thought, but I thought that was too easy to be true. Any tips? Or advice?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cwyatt11
That's what I thought, but I thought that was too easy to be true. Any tips? Or advice?
To take them off I found that it's easier to have the wheels pointing outwards on whatever side you are taking the bolt off. You get more space to work on. Zip tie the sway-bar to the chassis, you will need a 12inch or larger zip tie, or just use two smaller ones combined. Then zip tie the links to the sway-bar. Also when putting the bolts back on start with the one on the passenger side. You might need someone to put some weight on the driver side to line up the holes to put in the last bolt if you are on an uneven surface. It's not to bad, but you will start to wonder how to make the job easier, this brings me to my second point.

The easiest way to do this and not worry about tools is buying the JKS Manufacturing Quicker Disconnects. I forgot the name of the vendor here that gave me a great price on them... I cleaned out my inbox (sorry), maybe one of the sponsors can chime in and give you a quote.

JKS Manufacturing Quicker Disconnects - Quadratec

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:43 AM
JK Newbie

There is also a post on here to make ur own quick discos. Took about $15 from parts at Home Depot.

I did it, it works great! At this point I font know of any problems, so good luck.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I disconnected mine a couple months ago and never bothered to hook them back up, but I don't drive on the interstate

Quick Reply: How to dsconnect sways