Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

I'm pumped about air bumps

Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm pumped about air bumps

Can we talk bumpstops today? Specifically hydraulic/air stops?

I have been looking into these a bit as my jeep spends quite a bit of time in sand dunes. The whoops are absolutely devastating especially approaching a hill. From what I've seen, bumpstops are one way to improve ride quality. I think will also be adding a set of front Kings 2.5" bypass shocks. But I need to do more research there too.

Now here are my concerns:
A lot of these come in either 2.0" or 2.5". I'd like to go with 2.5" for a few reasons but will the fronts fit inside the coil?
Some of these are set heights (FOA and the Profender 2.5) while others are threaded and adjustable (Fox, King, and Profender 2.0). I like the adjustable ones but they seem to only be available in 2.0". Does the reduced heating effect outweigh the ease of adjust-ability? My thoughts are that it would. If I went with set heights, how do I determine which bumps to go with? I have a 3.5" lift if that means anything.
Lastly price. FOA is the cheapest and have the 2.5" for less than have a set of kings or fox. I am not sure of the Profender prices as they are a thailand brand lol.
What am I not considering here?

Thanks all.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im getting the foa ones soon. In a way there ll adjustable to me. They slide thru the cab and the can is welded where needed. Sounds like your mounting in the stock bump area. Only a few make kits for that if i recall. Im going 2.0. Bypass are nice but expensive and require tuning. I know foa does not ship anything pre charged.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Are you planning on running a coil spring and shock type lift for awhile? Or would you ever go coilovers whether bolt on or not? I only ask because if you are going to keep your set up then you have a few "bolt" on options. EVO makes the front kings that are super easy to install and fit within the coil buckets. They also provide a lower bumpstop puck to get the bump set. Fox also makes a threaded bolt on type much like the kings. The rear is a lil different as you need to french the frame and add a can to really get the full effect of a decent bump. Teraflex makes there speed bump but its no where near a air bump. If you ever decided to go with EVO's bolt on coilovers you can reuse there front bumps as they are made for the kit, and whichever you go with in the rear you shouldn't have to swap them out. So really depends on how custom you want to go. But if money is a issue then consider the time and money it will take to make a different bump with a coil spring and shock application fit. I run Fox 2.5 travel front and rear with Synergy cans. I do not know much about FOA's but it looks like they are also a weld on can type. Synergy makes a air bump mount that lets you use a standard air bump with a coil spring suspension.

http://www.polyperformance.com/Syner...t-Air-Bump-Kit

Last edited by FlexyJK; 11-13-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Im getting the foa ones soon. In a way there ll adjustable to me. They slide thru the cab and the can is welded where needed. Sounds like your mounting in the stock bump area. Only a few make kits for that if i recall. Im going 2.0. Bypass are nice but expensive and require tuning. I know foa does not ship anything pre charged.
That's a good point. I didn't think about them all technically being adjustable.

I plan on keeping them in the stock bump area, but my idea was to cut the stock bump off and weld the can in its place for whatever brand I choose.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlexyJK
Are you planning on running a coil spring and shock type lift for awhile? Or would you ever go coilovers whether bolt on or not?
My thoughts are that a high quality set of bypass shocks (just the front to start) and dual/triple rate shocks would get me where I want to be as far as performing in sand. Obviously coil overs are ideal for this type of stuff, but I'm not sure I want to spend that type of money on my 3.8L.

They also provide a lower bumpstop puck to get the bump set. Fox also makes a threaded bolt on type much like the kings.
This is a good point I didn't consider with the travel heights. If I need more/less height I can swap out the puck on the axle I suppose.

The rear is a lil different as you need to french the frame and add a can to really get the full effect of a decent bump.
Are you saying that I could not simply just cut the stock bump stop and weld a can in place? I guess I haven't really analyzed this in detail to know myself.

Basically my ideal setup would be cut the stock foam bump stop and housing off, weld in a new can, and mount whatever bump I choose whether its threaded or set height. I'd be doing this while sticking with coils and springs and would like the biggest diameter bump. So if that means 2.0 fronts and 2.5 rears, so be it.

-- I chopped up your response so hopefully the formatting doesn't turn out funky.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ya the rear is more involved since there isn't a lot of room. There are a few different mounts that are a lil less fabrication oriented. EVO makes a nice mount but i believe its only for the Kings. And Synergy makes a few different types. You may be able to just weld on the can but make sure you check for clearances at full stuff so your tire wont hit it. I cut the old rubber bump off and cut the frame so the can sat further in. Its not flush with the frame but does not stick out crazy bad. I went with 2.0 with 2.5 travel mainly for price, but all my research i didn't see a point for 2.5s. I don't think ill ever get these warm enough even with bombing through the desert.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20151009_205414.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	630276  

Last edited by FlexyJK; 11-16-2015 at 10:30 AM.

Quick Reply: I'm pumped about air bumps