Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

JK Fender Flares

Old 07-21-2021, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by resharp001
You going to go aluminum either way? That fender weight sure adds up fast. They're both nice products, though the PSC reg width sometimes looks like Dumbo ears out there.....my preference is the narrow. I like the angular tapered look of those Overland flares too though. If you have additional armor or are planning on some I think you need to think about it as a whole package look and which you like better if you intend to add along the way.

My Jeep currently has the Poison Spyder Brawler front and rear bumpers - That makes the thought of going with PS Crushers great....BUT.... I did the rear pinch seam cut to help with the nasty 90 angle Sheetmetal on the 2011 JKU using Metal Cloaks youtube video as a guide. The PS Crusher Flare (rear) actually uses a support bracket that utilizes the part of the pinch seam that I cut out. (DOH!!!!) The flare can still be attached without the bracket but does lose some of the added strength.

Metal Cloak Overlands look great and it doesn't use the pinch seam area for a support bracket. I was really targeting the MC Hardline but I can't source them used or in stock - just curious if mixing the look with PS bumbers and MC flares would look silly- I am a mixed bag as it is. Rock Kralwer CAs- Icon Shocks, JKS drag link, stock TR and 37s all on a stock 30. Maybe it won't look that bad. I see plenty others with mixed MFG - --- Best price wins right???

Aluminum would be the preferred choice but it is quite expensive. I don't really plan on banging off rocks and rust could be some concern with going steel. PS aluminum only comes Raw and would need to be powder coated locally- PS steel comes with spyder shell but again- weight is an issue. Too many choices can really make a person go nuts.

I Know... I know....upgrade the Dana 30 before worrying about fender flares- but I did pop a few of the stock fender plastic pins the other day going over a few washouts on our dirt road. Really didn't flex all the much and my rear factory fender flares were barely hanging on.

Last edited by ctopher86; 07-21-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is how she looks as of today- Maybe I can work some photoshop magic to see what some metal cloak would look like on there.

I did snag a pic from another user on here that has the metal cloak Overlands and I think they look pretty good.

The following users liked this post:
TnB (08-02-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got these Bushwacker aluminum flat fenders a couple of years ago. A set of 4 painted was less than $800. They have underside ladder supports, so they're very strong. I stand on the fenders all the time to get stuff off my roof. They're a total Poison Spyder ripoff. Probably same factory in China.

The following users liked this post:
wgw (08-04-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 10:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JK fender flares

Originally Posted by sfjk08
New to Jeep and the forum. I purchased a used 2008 JK and have begun the "process" of making it mine. I use the Jeep mainly as a daily driver but trying to get a certain look. I just replaced the tires to Nitto Grappler 305/60/18. Already had XD 18" wheels and wasn't ready to spend the money to change and wanted to keep the overall diameter close to stock for speedo and tranny. 1.5" spacers and 2" leveling kit installed. The Jeep came with Smittybuilt XRC flares which are very narrow. I blindly (live and learn) purchased a set of Barricade Rivet Style fenders as replacements but they are huge. I like the look of the flat flares like the XRC's but being a daily driver I can't take the constant dirt on the Jeep. A small puddle covers the Jeep. Long story short, looking for recommendations on flat fender flares that have that open look but have the coverage for the tires. Probably need 10+" of coverage on front and maybe 5-6" on rear. Thanks

I have always been very disappointed with fender flare options, what I think would be a very good design, would be walkable fenders. I’ve been in some deep nasty mud before (absolutely horrific smelling) in the middle of winter. Driving on ice and just fell straight through and got stuck. I have really nice rock rails and bumpers that have enough room for me to step on, but never a fender flare to get me from one to the other. Imagine not having to get wet while getting access to your winch to throw to someone else to hook it up for you. I know it’s hard or impossible to just do the fender by itself with the flimsy attachment points, but why couldn’t someone design an all in one bumper attached to walkable fenders attached to rock rails. I would definitely buy them if it means not having to smell nasty mud in my Jeep the rest of the off road trip. Would also love to have Wampa horns for my front fender flares, my Jeep is named Wampa (the yeti like creature from ice planet Hoth in Star Wars) my JKU is white and a beast, and didn’t want an average name like Yeti (maybe confused with Yeti coolers like they were a sponsor or something). Those are my dream fender ideas, who knows maybe someone will see this and take my design and become rich, I would just ask for the first one from the production line, lmao yeah right wouldn’t happen. To clarify I would only buy them if they were made in the USA I have some Chinese crap on my Jeep right now that I regret (smittybuilt XRC front bumper with the tubes that come out and go to the fender flare, the ONLY reason I bought those is I really liked the off road jack up point and how it would almost be impossible for the jack to slide out or detach from the bumper. I also have a quadratec winch, and since buying it, it’s been recalled. I emailed them a month or two ago and never heard back. So they must not care about customers safety or making it right.) USA made products are the only ones I will buy from now on. I tried adding a photo of my JKU but I kept getting a window that says “alert” with no other text so I don’t know what the “alert” is for, using iPhone and it seems Apple products don’t go well with most stuff, that’s not also Apple related.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Trimming Stock Fenders

Anybody have any luck trimming the stock JK fenders? I've watched a few videos and you can make them look however you want, but it's a lot of work with measuring and not messing up cuts.
Old 12-09-2022, 11:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by drew.muzio
Anybody have any luck trimming the stock JK fenders? I've watched a few videos and you can make them look however you want, but it's a lot of work with measuring and not messing up cuts.
I've known a couple folks here and there that have trimmed fenders really well. What I've determined is it's really all about how you cut and angle the very front part as to if they look good or like crap. If you're trimming non-painted flares, the good thing is if you mess up you can typically find more for really cheap.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Yea I have non painted fenders and was thinking about doing that this weekend instead of spending 600-800$ on a full front and rear set.
Old 12-09-2022, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've known a couple folks here and there that have trimmed fenders really well. What I've determined is it's really all about how you cut and angle the very front part as to if they look good or like crap. If you're trimming non-painted flares, the good thing is if you mess up you can typically find more for really cheap.

Yea I have non painted fenders and was thinking about doing that this weekend instead of spending 600-800$ on a full front and rear set.

Quick Reply: JK Fender Flares