Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

new guy, chief mechanic for Trouble

Old 10-10-2018, 01:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy, chief mechanic for Trouble

So I have made my way here after finding myself elected the Chief mechanic for my ol' lady's 07 Sahara four door. She named it Trouble and it has lived up to that name by 1000%. I've been bustin my knuckles and dumped about $4500 into a re-manufactured transmission, radiator, tie rod assembly, track bar & drag link. We have owned it for about a year and a half and is our (her) first Jeep. It has a 2.5 inch lift on 35" BFG MT tires. I am tapped out financially after all these problems but want to keep my eyes on the important things so they dont jump up and bite me like these last few repairs have. the tires are just about a year old and have about 18,000 miles on them. The death wobble and tie rod issues have caused the front tires to wear in a very peculiar pattern, a mechanic buddy of mine called it cupping. now that the front end is straightened out, it has caused the tires to become very loud and makes for a choppy/ bumpy ride. I have so many questions but I will start with this one..

Will riding on these tires damage the new steering/ suspension components?

Thanks in advance from the new guy

I've probably put this in the wrong place so moderators please move if necessary

Last edited by oddman; 10-10-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Mud terrain tires should be rotated about every 3000. miles. How many rotations? Have you put it on an alignment rack and confirmed things are good? It would not be a surprise if the front axle is bent or out of camber spec. You can fix with off set ball joints. Death wobble does not cause cupping but cupped or unbalanced tires can cause death wobble. Put the cupped tires on the rear or replace them, don't run them up front.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Mud terrain tires should be rotated about every 3000. miles. How many rotations? Have you put it on an alignment rack and confirmed things are good? It would not be a surprise if the front axle is bent or out of camber spec. You can fix with off set ball joints. Death wobble does not cause cupping but cupped or unbalanced tires can cause death wobble. Put the cupped tires on the rear or replace them, don't run them up front.
yes, it has been on an alignment rack after the work was completed. The tires have not been rotated (I wont point blame or give excuses). I will get on the swap to the rear
Old 10-17-2018, 05:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Yes, cupping can and likely will happen with mud tires even if the alignment and suspension is 100% perfect. You need to rotate more often to avoid this. It happened on my 2012 Jku. I switched to AT tires at 50,000 miles and have no more cupping.

Quick Reply: new guy, chief mechanic for Trouble